Road Trip From Utah to Texas


The day after I ran the St. George Marathon, my husband and I drove to Park City, Utah. Somehow I managed to keep up with him on our downhill and uphill walk through the historic town. He even told me that he could hardly tell that I had just run a marathon. I wondered if he was just being nice because I was still pretty sore. I tried not to cry too hard when I saw that the restaurant where we ate had a restroom down a long flight of stairs!


From there, we drove to the Park City Ski Resort. I think that I must have been ice cream depleted after all of my marathon training because right after finishing the marathon, I ate an ice cream sandwich. The next day, ice cream still sounded good so we sat in the warm sun and ate ice cream while watching people glide up and down the mountain on a zip line. It was a great afternoon.

Originally, we had planned to drive up to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons after the marathon, but because the national parks were closed, we had to make some changes. On the way home to Texas, we stopped at Dead Horse Point State Park near Moab, Utah. The park was a surprisingly good find that we learned about from our waiter at the St. George Olive Garden where I ate my pre-marathon dinner.




That wasn't the last of our great views, though. The next day, we found ourselves looking down upon the small town of Ouray, Colorado, sometimes called America's little Switzerland.


From there, it wasn't too far to Durango, Colorado. After staying in Durango for a few days, we drove to Albuquerque for the Hot Air Balloon Festival. We were late because of a traffic delay, but not too late to see a few of the colorful balloons.


Afterwards, we headed home through Amarillo, Texas, and stopped at Cadillac Ranch. If you can believe it, the ranch is just an empty lot with some cars stuck in the dirt that are spray painted by anyone who visits. I guess our recent hike wasn't enough for my husband so he got in some more climbing.


Finally, we made it back to Texas after our 4000 mile driving vacation. The map shows our route and the letters show some of the stops that we made. Our trip included running a marathon in Utah, hiking in Colorado and even our 28th wedding anniversary. Taking a vacation was a great way to celebrate!



Comments

  1. I love Ouray! So glad you got to stop there and see it. And it looks like you got to see more hot air balloons in ABQ than I did for my race. There were probably about 4 or so up in the distance when I started the race, but I did not see them after the start. Maybe I was focused on the ground and putting one foot in front of the other...Ha! No, seriously, so great to see you got to have a great road trip for a marathon-the best way to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an awesome trip! Love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great trip! Beautiful pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning pics! LOL about the restroom down the stairs. Maybe you should've asked to be carried? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photos! Thanks for sharing your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds great. You two make some fun trips.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing trip! I'm glad you made it to Albuquerque and the Balloon Fiesta, I'm sure you were plenty busy, but we could have met up! Happy 28th Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Meeting you would have been fun - maybe next time!

      Delete
  8. Your trip sounds like so much fun! I'm from Utah and loved hearing about your St. George marathon and your trip to Park City and Moab! I'm so impressed you're such a trooper after a marathon too! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an amazing trip!!! Love when running and traveling comes together!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt