Friday, November 15, 2013

Oatmeal 3 Healthy Ways


It was cooler this week so I warmed up with oatmeal. If I'm hungry when I wake up, I'll eat oatmeal before I run in the morning. Otherwise, I like to have oatmeal after I run so that it warms me up after I've been outside. 

Coming up with some healthy topping ideas was a good way to get my brain working early in the morning! 

Apple Oatmeal


Today, I made myself some apple oatmeal. Rather than just top my oats with uncooked apples, I took an extra step that made my oatmeal even better than usual. 

I melted a dab of coconut oil in a small pot.Then I warmed the apples in the oil and placed them aside in a bowl. I made my oatmeal in the same pot - you don't want to have a mess to clean up when you're done! (If you'd like an oatmeal cooking lesson, here's one: video from Eating Well.) When the oatmeal was done, I added: 

  • Small Granny Smith apple (diced and warmed in coconut oil)
  • Wheat germ
  • Almond extract 
  • Molasses (a sweetener)
  • Toasted almonds

Chocolate Nut Butter Oatmeal



These oatmeal toppings make oatmeal taste like an Almond Joy candy bar.

Mix-ins:
  • Peanut butter or almond butter
  • Cocoa powder
  • Coconut
  • Almonds
  • Banana (a sweetener)

Sweet Potato Oatmeal



You've probably heard of pumpkin oatmeal, but have you heard of sweet potato oatmeal? This is a good way to get a head start on eating your vegetables for the day. Here's a Runners World Post on Healthy Sweet Potatoes.

Mix-ins:
  • Half of a sweet potato (microwaved, peeled, cut-up or mashed)
  • Toasted walnuts (microwaved)
  • Reduced Sugar Cranberries (these taste just as good as the regular ones)
  • Pure maple syrup
  • Pumpkin pie spices such as cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and ginger

More Healthy Oatmeal Toppings


This is just the beginning of fall and I'll be making oatmeal many more times. My usual go-to toppings:
  • Raisins
  • Walnuts 
  • Cinnamon
Do you have any favorite healthy oatmeal toppings? 

12 comments:

  1. Yum! I'll have to try some of your additions to my oatmeal. Have you ever tried steel cut oats? I have an easy way to cook them overnight and they last a week in the fridge. Never get sticky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to try steel cut oats. I like trying new foods. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  2. Oh my I totally love your blog! Definitely have bookmarked you ... I love the running after 40 part :) I just ran my first full right before turning 40 too. I'm a big oatmeal eater as well ... I usually make a bowl before every run. That is a good idea about the coconut oil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just visited your Twitter page. I like the image you chose with the bird and the running shoes- creative and unique!

      Delete
  3. Weird, McDonald's fruit and maple oatmeal did not make the list. LOL

    Thanks for so many great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're bringing back vacation memories! The last time I ate at McD's, somewhere in Arizona maybe, that's just what I ate!

      Delete
  4. you always offer the best tips...
    I didn't know about the lower sugar craisins - excellent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happily surprised to find them at the grocery store next to the regular ones. I hope you can find them, too!

      Delete
  5. I feel like the worst at trying to do this whole healthy living thing because I have never liked oatmeal. Seems like I should, but the texture just gets to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could grind raw oats in the blender for a different texture, but it's really not necessary. There's no law that says that runners must eat oatmeal!

      Delete
  6. Yummy! Love making new oatmeal combinations, will have to try your sweet potato one! Have you ever tried chilled swiss oatmeal? I have a link on my blog if you want to try! It is SO good! Sounds weird, but is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look for Swiss Oatmeal on your blog. Thanks for letting me know about it!

      Delete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...