The Puddle Experiment

Needed on Today's Run

2 Tips for Running in the Rain

  1. Wear a cap with a flap to keep the rain off of your face.
  2. Bring sunglasses in case the wind blows the rain into your face. After coming back from a long rainy run with red eyes, I started bringing my sunglasses even on rainy days.

I accidentally conducted an experiment for this blog today... 

The Puddle Experiment

  1. Wait for a cold (40 degrees), rainy day.
  2. Go for a run in your brand new Asics Nimbus shoes, which you hope to keep clean for at least 3 runs. (Not a chance!)
  3. Enjoy the scenery: the trees, the creek, the birds.
  4. Since you aren't paying attention to where you're stepping, run through a deep puddle with only your right foot.
  5. Be sure to keep your left foot out of the puddle.
  6. Notice how cold your right foot feels - very cold!
  7. Choose not to complain because you...
  8. Realize that it will be the perfect puddle experiment.
  9. Run for another mile and then... 
  10. Check to see how your right foot feels compared to your left foot.
Conclusion: My right foot felt the same as my left foot - not colder, not wet, but just right. This experiment would probably have different results for those living in colder climates. Experiment at your own risk!

Pains Be Gone!


I'm so happy about running lately because I've gotten in some good running. I'm not having any of those pains that bothered me before and after running the St. George Marathon on October 5.

Notes on Three Recent Runs 

  1. Did speedwork with my husband since he runs faster than I do. It's fun to run with someone who is faster than you - extra incentive to pick up the pace.  
  2. Saturday, I set out knowing that I wanted to run 6 miles and that cooler weather might mean faster times. It did! What a difference rest and cooler weather makes! It was great to see 9 minute miles again - 4 times. 
  3. Today I ran 6 miles (10:04/mile average) at about a minute slower than my marathon goal pace.

Total running miles last week: 16.5 divided up over 3 days

This week's exercise goals: 4 days of running and two days of strength training

Comments

  1. I've never purposely thought of wearing sunglasses in the rain. Although I do find that I like them even when I don't really need them because they keep my eyes protected from wind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's another good reason to wear them even on an overcast day! I noticed that on today's run.

      Delete
  2. I wear glasses I bought at a bike shop that darken according to sunlight. So they are the bomb in rain and cold. I'm not sure I knew how beneficial they'd be. Cold+rain=blech.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not like running in the cold, wind and rain. Yuck. That's too bad you stepped in a puddle too! It sounds like you've got some good runs in though. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One good thing about running in the cold, wind and rain is that if you have a race in those conditions, you know you can handle it. It was kind of hard to get out there, though!

      Delete
  4. Since we just had a few inches of wet snow, I can try your tips in the melty snow. :-) I agree with Marcia with just a little revision: Cold = blech. Happy Thanksgiving!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you like running in the rain? If it's a light rain, I don't mind it. Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

      Delete
  5. I agree! I am always afraid of stepping in puddles but once I realize my feet are wet, it is not that bad at all (especially if I am wearing the right socks). The only time this did not work for me was during Boulder's flood and I foolishly headed out to run, only to find there was no place that did not have at least 6 inches of water on the ground that I had to step in....the my legs were HEAVY. Cool experiment and thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wore those Point 6 socks I won on your blog!

      Delete
  6. I almost always wear sunglasses while running. I've found that even when it's not sunny out, it keeps the wind and bugs out of your eyes, or as you wrote, rain too :) I recently bought a pair of lighter tinted sporty sunglasses for the winter months. I'm actually keeping my eye out for even lighter ones, maybe a yellow tint or something, since the sun isn't out much. I'll look like Bono maybe, haha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wear my sunglasses a lot, too. I think it helps me to run relaxed since it keeps me from squinting.

      Delete
  7. At one time I didn't mind running in the cold rain. But then I ran a marathon in it and it totally sucked the life out of me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first time I ran a marathon in the rain (Maine Marathon), I started with a trash bag. The next time I ran a rainy marathon (Houston 2013), I wore a rain poncho - still not very aerodynamic!

      Delete
  8. Your puddle experiment cracked me up! I always wear a hat in the rain, too. Not my favorite weather but not the worst either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today, I had to keep this in mind: as soon as I'm done, I'm eating/drinking something hot. A little hot oatmeal and a scrambled egg with reheated roasted vegies did the trick!

      Delete
    2. Oops, sorry Jan. I accidentally deleted your comment: yummy!

      Delete
  9. I can't wear sunglasses in the rain. The water drops on the lenses drive me absolutely insane. I have very light-sensitive eyes, so rain-running is extra annoying since the bill of my visor does little for the glare or brightness and I can't deal with the wet sunnies. I should just stay dry.

    I did an accidental puddle experiment once. I got used to the wet foot pretty quickly, now that I think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate running through puddles, when my socks get squishy I am unhappy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to hear that your pains are gone! I am not a fan a soggy sneaks at all!

    ReplyDelete
  12. catching up on your running here! i love this post! i can relate to the rain and oops - puddle that i never thought was there! ha! i always take sunglasses on rainy runs now after experiencing red eyes a few years ago. wow, they really did hurt from the rain! glad to hear your pain is away! i can tell by your tone that you are so happy, too!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt