5 Ways to Stay Motivated to Run
Sometimes you need a little extra motivation to run, especially when it seems like everyone else is staying in their warm beds and you're the only one outside running in the cold weather. Here are five tips that I've used.
- Sign up for a new race, distance or terrain at Runningintheusa.com.
- Look for runners who are earning PR's and learn from them. Jessica at Pace of Me earned a 4 minute half marathon PR and had fun doing it by easing off on the pressure in training. Jim at 50 After 40 found that running five days a week instead of 6 and eating healthier helped him to qualify for Boston twice and place in many races this year. Marathoner and ultrarunner Shana Leneveu has won ultras using a heart rate monitor. Running has even helped her to reduce her asthma medications.
- Find a running buddy or a running group. I enjoyed being in a Usa Fit running group. Knowing that your friends will miss you if you aren't there is a great motivator to never miss a run.
- The scenery along your running route can be motivating. I love to run through a park where I often see all kinds of birds, including occasional bald eagles, and deer. Recently, I spotted Santa at the park, too. Maybe he's rounding up his reindeer!
- Remember the reasons that you run. Maybe you run for fun, for your health, for PR's or even for the cookies.