5 Ways to Stay Motivated to Run



Sometimes you need a little extra motivation to run, especially when it seems like everyone else is staying in their warm beds and you're the only one outside running in the cold weather. Here are five tips that I've used.

  1. Sign up for a new race, distance or terrain at Runningintheusa.com.
  2. Look for runners who are earning PR's and learn from them.  Jessica at Pace of Me earned a 4 minute half marathon PR and had fun doing it by easing off on the pressure in training. Jim at 50 After 40 found that running five days a week instead of 6 and eating healthier helped him to qualify for Boston twice and place in many races this year. Marathoner and ultrarunner Shana Leneveu has won ultras using a heart rate monitor. Running has even helped her to reduce her asthma medications. 
  3. Find a running buddy or a running group. I enjoyed being in a Usa Fit running group. Knowing that your friends will miss you if you aren't there is a great motivator to never miss a run.
  4. The scenery along your running route can be motivating. I love to run through a park where I often see all kinds of birds, including occasional bald eagles, and deer. Recently, I spotted Santa at the park, too. Maybe he's rounding up his reindeer!
  5. Remember the reasons that you run. Maybe you run for fun, for your health, for PR's or even for the cookies. 
How about you? Why do you run?

Comments

  1. Great tips, Tina! I find that races and new running routes/scenery are big motivators for me. I also like to reflect on reasons why I run while I'm running, so I can reinfornce what I'm doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny that you saw Santa on a run! My sister and I dressed up for our Jingle Bell Challenge virtual run this weekend so people probably thought is was funny that they saw holiday elves running through town!

    I agree that the route/scenery can be motivating. Also getting to use a new product on a run (or after) is always fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have two high energy dogs that make me run even when the motivation isn't there.
    If we saw Santa on a run, the German Shepherd would scare him and the Border Collie would BE SCARED.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your tips! I definitely think signing up for a race works to motivate me! Because I hate the cold, so when the temperatures drop it's easy for me to do some type of indoor workout besides run, but if I have a race I feel like I don't have a choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post, I run to see new things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I run because I LOVE it so, the feeling of freedom and movement. Sadly I am sitting on the injured list again. not my year. Great tips though! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tips!!
    I had to quit racing (injury issues) but I think all of the injuries over the years made me really appreciate the fact that I'm able to run!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having a race on the schedule always motivates me. Changing up routes is always good too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list! Buddies are the key for me. I run a LOT more often when there's socializing to go along with it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like a good list! Unfortunately i can't run because of terrible knees, but when I did run I did most of the things you listed and it worked :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't been especially motivated to run lately, so I appreciate all these tips. I love running for the mental break and just to get away from the house and enjoy the outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I needed this! Thank you for posting this. Maybe I can find my mojo by following some of these things!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Finding a friend to run with really helps me. When you know someone is counting on you it is harder to back out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes!! Go sign up for a race. And having a hot tub to get in first helps me face the cold too :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good post! I rely a lot on goals and long term goals to keep me going.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Running is a huge release for me but to stay motivated, I always need a goal to train for. Otherwise I turn into a slacker.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are great tips! When I'm low on motivation I like to think of how good I feel after a run. That's usually enough to get me out the door :) I also like to think of why I started running in the first place, like you said, or think of an upcoming race. There is almost always an upcoming race, even if it's just a for fun race where I'm not actually following a training plan. I still have to be ready to run!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are great tips. I found that when I joined my local running club it totally helped my motivation, gave me people to train with, races to train for and a general feeling of community.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think it's so cool that you spotted Santa while running! There's a state park right in my backyard, but I've NEVER seem Santa while running! I did see him on top of a fire truck going down the street last weekend, though...but I wasn't running when it happened. Probably a good thing based on the speed of the fire truck.

    I run for it all...the outdoors, the cookies, and the health benefits (as long as I don't eat too many cookies)!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt