Book: Continental Quotient & Running Earbuds

Fraser, Colorado (Photo Courtesy of Kristen Lodge)

Yesterday I finished reading the book Continental Quotient by Kristen Lodge. The book is all about living in new places and outdoor experiences. I liked it!
Photo Courtesy of Kristen Lodge

In the book, Kristen moves from New England to Colorado and finally to Arizona. Most of the book is about moving to and living in different towns. She writes about what it's like to move alone and to make new friends along the way. 

There are stories of the hardships of living where it snows, which I found especially interesting since I've thought about moving to a snowy place someday. After the nearby roads close for snow, Kristen starts carrying skis in her car so that she will always have a way to travel between her home and work. Eventually, she moves to sunny Tucson where she can experience outdoor adventures all year long.  

I liked reading about traveling to new places, hiking and backpacking up high mountains, being an Ironman triathlete, biking and skiing. Because the book is only about 130 pages, you'll have more time to plan out your next outdoor adventure whether it's just a bike ride from home or hiking up a mountain - something you'll be inspired to do after reading the book. As for me, I hopped on my bike and went for a ride yesterday!

Kristen Lodge online:

Live Adventurous Dreams: Kristen Interviewed

27 Books in 2013! 

Now that I've finished Continental Quotient, I've read 27 books this year. Three or four of those were audio books. Sometimes I like to listen to a book while I run for some two-in-one fun.


Earbuds for Running


Saturday I ran 9 miles at a park and my Sony earbuds fell out every once in awhile so I'm looking for some better ones. 

I saw a wraparound earband, Aftershokz, that some reviewers said works well for running, but I don't like the idea of wearing an earband as much as wearing one earbud. The plus with the earband is that it doesn't fit in your ear, but sits in front of your ear instead. That way, you don't have to worry about it falling out of your ear.

Still, I'd rather put one earbud in my ear, like I prefer, than wear an earband. Do you have some favorite earbuds?

Comments

  1. Years ago I lived in region with serious snow that makes Indiana look like nothing in the winter. It's definitely a different way of life living in those regions. It can be beautiful yet also exhausting! :) I found that it wasn't for me and I even have a hard time where I am now during the winter. I think I'm naturally a warmer climate person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had a break in the cold weather for a few days and it has felt very nice!

      Delete
  2. You know, stopped running with music so I don't have an opinion on good earbuds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the AfterShokz and do like them, I thought I would hate them. I also love the Koss Fit Series for women and I am pretty sure if you go to their website they have a great sale on them today, or I think they will be 19.99 for the holiday season also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info on both of these! I'll check out the Koss deal!

      Delete
  4. I read about Continental Quotient on Amy's blog. It sounds like a book I would really enjoy! I am planning on reading it after I finish the book I'm currently reading.

    As far as ear buds go, I use Skull Candy ear buds. I never have any issues with them falling out. I think they come with a few different sizes of the rubber part that goes in your ear, to ensure a snug fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking at Skull Candy ear buds because of their inline volume control. Thanks for the info!

      Delete
  5. I'm new to your blog, but have you tried YurBuds? I love them and they are all that I use now. Super comfy and they never fall out. I know that some people don't like them though. I would highly recommend them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never falling out sounds good! Thanks!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a good read! Congrats on 27 books! I'd recommend both Yurbuds and the Koss fit series. Particularly when it's really cold here, I like the bud to seal out the wind. ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I just noticed the 27 today and was kind of surprised. Sealing out the cold, noisy wind would be a plus!

      Delete
  7. They are expensive, but I got the Bose earbuds and they are awesome. They don't BUDGE, even on super long, super sweaty treadmill runs. They are also super comfortable. I have tried every earbud known to man (even the wrap around kind) and had not found any that truly stayed in and didn't hurt my ears until these. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sound perfect, but I'm kind of scared to check to see how much they cost!

      Delete
  8. That book sounds like a good one. That's amazing you've read 27 books this year! I love reading, but haven't made time for it in a while. I miss it. ;-(

    I love my Skull Candy earbuds. They go in the ear, but they never fall out. They're hot pink and cute too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love reading, too. I've even been known to set my book up to read while I blow dry my hair!

      Delete
  9. 27 books is awesome! I really want to read this book. Although I'm sure it will feed my desire to move! I've wanted to move for years and years and yet I'm still in Albuquerque. Oh well, maybe someday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's fun to dream about moving somewhere special!

      Delete
  10. I rarely run outside with music and only when I run on the treadmill. I am interested to see what the others say as well because mine always fall out too! Congrats on 27 books in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, reading 27 makes me want to reach 30 before the year's out!

      Delete
  11. I'm interested in reading your commenters' earbud reviews because I need better ones, too. The book sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love books that inspire me to do something fun outside like this one did. Now I need to find another one like that to read!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt