Short Strength Training Workouts

No Weights Required Today

In a perfect week, besides running five days a week and a bike ride, I like to get in at least three 15 minute sessions of strength training.

Here's a workout I did on Monday before my run.

The PB & C Workout 
Perform the following 3 exercises:
10 Push-ups
10 Burpees
10 Crunches
And then go through all of them 9 more times.

I took a water break halfway through. After the burpees, it felt good to be on the ground for the crunches. Just be careful not to take a nap while you're down there!

3 Short Workout Videos Online
But maybe you only have 5-8 minutes to exercise. Here are some shorter workouts. I did the second and third workouts today. I had to take breaks during the workouts - they're tough!

Carrie's 5 Minute Ab Workout on C Tolle Run - Her cheerfulness makes the workout go by fast.
4 Full Body Exercises in 7 Minutes with Stuft Mama & a resistance band So many push-ups - I couldn't wait for the finish beeps on this one.
8 Minutes of Non Stop Ab Exercises on XHIT Daily - A hard workout - I was staring down the countdown timer in the video.

My Favorite Workout Videos Have These Features

  1. Complete exercises performed straight through in real-time.
  2. Exercises begin soon after the video begins.
  3. I can hear the person giving the instructions even if there's music in the background. 
  4. Gym machines aren't required.
How about your favorites in a workout video? What do you look for?

Giveaways
After all of that earbud talk, I won some earbuds from SugarPlumRunner.com! Maybe you'll be a winner in Skirt Sport's 12 Days of Giveaways (ends soon: 12/20)!


Comments

  1. I actually like my yoga videos, the name of which escapes me at the moment. I need to make time for yoga. Maybe TOMORROW after my daughter leaves again with her puppy. It's impossible to do anything on the floor with a puppy in the house. Hahahah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of a way... You could do one push-up and throw the ball. Then repeat!

      Delete
  2. I never use workout videos. I bought a yoga DVD and never got around to using it. Congratulations on winning the earbuds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty exciting to win those earbuds! They sound like they'll be good ones.

      Delete
  3. I love the PBC routine - gonna have to give that one a try!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something tells me you'll be doing 44 at a time instead of 10!

      Delete
  4. I like Carrie's blog too. I'll have to check out that ab video. Congrats on the ear buds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only recently came across Carrie's blog. I know that she has a fajita recipe on there that I want to try.

      Delete
  5. I just found a really great workout on crunchlive.com - Bare. It's all about strengthening your foot, core all while working on balance. Really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info on crunchlive.com. Working on my balance would be helpful. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. I don't use workout videos but I do go to bootcamp sometimes...I'll probably be going more now that winter is really underway and running won't always be an option. Icy roads and no shoulder on the roads in the NE doesn't always work out well for the daily run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working out in a group like that would be fun!

      Delete
  7. I think I would have to work my way up to repeating your strength training sequence 9 times, at least for the push up part! I think I max out at 20 real push ups and then have to go to my knees :)

    Thanks for the short strength videos! I look for the same features as you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take breaks and modify the workouts, too. No shame there! Then completing the full workout is my goal.

      Delete
  8. I love short, yet effective workouts too! I'm a huge fan of pushups and burpees, so I love that first workout you shared. Looks awesome. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like burpees and push-ups, too, but they're hard! It was nice to have a bit of a break with the crunches.

      Delete
  9. Love this! I have absolutely got to make strength training a priority this next year!!! I couldn't open my husband's YETI cooler last night...how sad is that?! HA! Here's to pumping some iron!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoping 2014 will be the year of gaining strength and easily opened coolers and jars for all of us!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt