Weekly Recap, Pancakes & Kefir


Exercise This Week (miles I ran/ST = strength training): 
S: 3
S: 0
M: 5/ST
T: 4
W: 3/ST
T: 9 - I'm almost back up to double digit running again!
F: 0/ST

Total Miles: 24


Eating this Week: 

Whole Wheat Gingerbread Pancakes - These pancakes are full of spices, perfect for the holidays. I used homemade buttermilk (milk + vinegar to make them fluffy). The pancakes aren't very sweet, but I doubt that will be noticed once you top them with peanut butter, fruit or a little pure maple syrup, which has manganese and zinc in it to help your immune system. I'm glad that I still have some of these left in my refrigerator! 


Kefir vs. Yogurt

I recently started buying kefir. I bought some blueberry Lifeway kefir this week. It has a great blueberry taste and has the consistency of a yogurt smoothie. The strawberry flavor is good, too.

I used to think that kefir was yogurt with something added to it to give it a liquid consistency, but it's not. Kefir and yogurt contain different types of bacteria and help your body in different ways (more about that). Usually, I just buy plain yogurt and mix it with some fruit or use it to top my Mexican food or baked potatoes like you would use sour cream, but having kefir was a nice change.

Listening to Audio Books While Running in the Park: I finished Letters of Mrs Adams, Wife Of John Adams by Abigail Adams. I liked listening to her letters. It was almost as though she herself was reading them aloud to me. She talked about missing her husband, wishing he'd write more often and what it was like taking care of the family and their property while John Adams was away from home. That's the 25th book I've read or listened to this year. Sounds like a good number to finish on!

Comments

  1. I had no idea that Kefir and yogurt were different. That's great to know! I'll check it out. The Adams book sounds good, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, thanks for your comment! It made me think that a maple syrup link about the nutrients in syrup might be helpful, too, so I added one.

      Delete
  2. Kefir is the new Kale! It's getting lots of publicity in the RD world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One good thing about that - it tastes better than kale!

      Delete
  3. Audio books while running is a good thought. I might try seeing if I like that. I do like to think while I run so I'm thinking I might enjoy that.

    I've never tried Kefir. Not sure how I'd like it. Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kind that I tried tastes like yogurt so if you like yogurt, I think you'll like it.

      Delete
  4. Those sound like audio books I'd enjoy listening to while running. I need to try an audio book one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I can find free history books on my free Librivox app on my phone!

      Delete
  5. I never thought of listening to audio books while running! What a great idea! I am sure it goes along way in distracting the mind! thanks for the tip! - p.s. I never even heard of Kefir, I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes the blogger in me happy that you found two new ideas from today's post!

      Delete
  6. Do you like kefir? I never got quite to the point where I liked it. but i love greek yogurt. And I do think they have a similar taste even though they are different

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! So far, I've only had 2 flavors of kefir, both the Lifeway brand, and I like it. When it comes to Greek yogurt, I've found that there are some kinds I prefer over others.

      Delete
  7. Awesome post, Tina!

    Thanks for the link on the pancakes. My family loves pancakes. Well, I feel the whole of the Netherlands worships pancakes. hahaha But I've never came across Gingerbread pancakes before. Going to give it a try next weekend.

    When I begun running I listened to Eat, Pray and Love audio book. I loved this combined activity. It's a long story why I gave it up but you motivate me to take it on again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started listening to one book because it's a classic, Emma by Jane Austen, but I was bored with it and stopped. I recently came back to it, too, to try to finish it. It's over 500 pages so maybe I'll finish it next year, which really isn't so far away now!

      Delete
  8. Those gingerbread pancakes sound delicious! I spent a large part of my weekend making two batches (over 70 cookies) of gingerbread men! My favorite, yet I make them to give them away to others and to share with family at holiday get-togethers :)

    I love audiobooks, but I save them for the car. I drive about 3,000 miles per month for work. Sometimes I listen to music, but the radio got old about 2 years ago, so I mainly listen to audiobooks now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making so many cookies to share would be a fun tradition, but it must take forever to make 70 gingerbread men!

      Delete
  9. Those pancakes look amazing!
    I listen to podcasts while running sometimes and I like it a lot!
    I like kefir, but I prefer yogurt for the consistency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only run with music and audiobooks so far and save the podcasts for ironing and other housework. This week I listened to a show about an ultrarunner. Kind of makes me want to run one, too!

      Delete
  10. Your pancakes look wonderful and I <3 that they are heart shaped. So yummy and cute! I haven't tried Kefir, but have wanted to. I didn't realize it had different bacteria than yogurt. Interesting....

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's fun to make heart shaped pancakes. They make breakfast seem special even on ordinary days!

    I'm glad you learned something new. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt