Friday, January 3, 2014

3 Fitness Goals for 2014


2014 Fitness Goals

  1. Running: In 2013, I ran 1500 miles. To run at least 1500 miles in 2014 would be great. That's an average of about 30 miles a week. So many runners have their races planned out for the year already. That's amazing! Hopefully, I'll register for a race soon, too. 
  2. Strength training: I want to continue to strength train 2-3 times a week. 
  3. Biking: I want to add something new: more riding! I'd like to ride at least 15 miles a week or 60 miles a month. I'll keep track of my riding miles like I do my running on Garmin Connect.
My 2013 Races

No PR's, but I had a lot of fun racing this year!

10/5/13 St. George Marathon (Utah) 4:35:01- Beautiful course!
5/26/13 Bob Potts Marathon (Pennsylvania) 3:58:11- Rail trail race! 
3/2/13 The Woodlands Half Marathon 2:00:34 - 1st race close to my new house (in SE Texas)!
1/13/13 Houston Marathon 4:00:29 - My 7th running of this race! I used to live a few blocks from the course.


Longest Run This Week

I ran 11 miles yesterday. Because a cold front was blowing in, towards the end of my run it felt like 25 degrees. It's so much better to run when it's cool than to run in the heat so I'm not complaining!

For some energy, I had a cup of Gatorade and some dates. A quarter cup of dates has 100 calories and 30 carbohydrates, like many gels do. My average pace was 10:16.

The photo shows part of my running route through the park. The fall colors are so pretty right now. I love to run through the red leaves. Although it was cold, it didn't really snow! The day before (on New Year's Day), I saw five deer when I was riding my bike. What a great way to start the new year!

23 comments:

  1. Happy New Year to you....all the best for 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with you 2014 goals! Looking forward to following your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a solid year and some exciting goals for 2014! I love using dried fruit as fuel in the 'off-season'. Not sure why I keep it to the off-season...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are such great goals! I am hoping I can get a bike in 2014 so I can take that up too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your 2014 goals sound realistic enough to me. I'll be happy with 1,000 miles and more strength training. Cycling, on today's busy roads, is not for me....
    All the best for 2014.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about roads. I'm really glad I get to ride in the park on the road in the photo and the dirt paths there, too.

      Delete
  6. You had a great year at the marathon distance, even with no new PRs. Looks like 2013 was a good one. All the best for 2014 too! Great goals for the year too. Cycling is great cross training for running, and nice to have some exercise with minimal impact.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Strength training is one of my goals too. I hope it makes me a better runner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you close enough to your job that you can ride once or twice a week? That's how I get my cross training in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year Tina! And may it be 100% injury-free!
    Your fall colours look beautiful. I would give almost anything for that time of year here, where it is uncomfortably warm and humid for running!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great list of goals!!!
    And, I'm glad you shared your races from last year - since I'm new here I missed them!
    That picture is awesome - I miss TX (especially in the winter!!).

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great list of goals! Your picture makes me jealous - I wish I was in Texas right now! It's -2 degrees where I am right now...brrr!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you were able to get a long run in! I also love that you ate "real food" instead of a gel. That makes so much more sense to me. I am definitely not on the gel/energy bar band wagon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job on the running miles. I hope you like the biking as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The park looks beautiful, can't believe there are still so many leaves. Congrats on running three marathons and a half! I'm not signed up for anything yet in 2014, either. They haven't yet opened up the registration for the event I'm most interested in right now, the Pacific Coast Sectionals (for adult figure skaters) in Ontario, CA in March. Loved skating at Sectionals last year, hope it works out for this year, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. and dates taste so much better than most of the gels. I am going to have to remember this. Great job with all your miles in 2013! I am not setting any big running goals this year, at this point just getting back to running healthy is my big goal :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I used to live a few blocks from the Houston marathon course too! It made training on the course very easy. I need to be more consistent about strength training this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You lived in Houston? I didn't know that!

      Delete
  17. I definitely prefer cold weather running over the heat, but the below zero temp's we have been having lately, combined with the wind, has been a bit much.

    It is crazy y'all have fall colors right now! We haven't had leaves on the trees here since mid-October. Fall is my favorite because of all of the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Tina, I like to run, but have put it off for awhile because I lost a lot of weight running and also have a high metablolism. Just wondering how you run so much and do marathons an do not get bone skinny. I mean you look like you still have meat on your bones. Do you drink beer to keep the weight balanced or something else? Does weight lifting help.? I am looking for advice because I want to get back into running this year. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I lift weights. Weight lifting will give you some arm muscles and you might even find out that you like lifting!

      Delete
  19. You had a FANTASTIC year of running!!! 1500 miles is AWESOME! I hope to get my miles back up this year. Way too much happened last year to keep my miles high as the year before... but that's life... and it's all good! I am loving all of your articles! Printing some out to take to bed and read!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...