Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Chia Seeds & My Short Long Run


Chia Seed Pudding

Chia Seed Facts


  • Chia seeds are packed with protein, calcium, iron, essential fatty acids and potassium. 
  • Whole chia seeds are more digestible if you soak them in water or another liquid for a few minutes before eating. 
  • You don't need a recipe to use chia seeds. You can simply add chia seeds to your favorite smoothie recipe or add them to some water or juice.

Chia Seed Recipes


Chia Seed Pudding

For the pudding in the top photo, I used Chia Seed Pudding (Giada's recipe). All of the ingredients are pictured except for the milk.  It is a good idea to stir the mixture every once in awhile at first to make sure that the seeds are covered with yogurt. 

I liked this pudding and will make it again. If you like a thicker consistency, the next recipe is for you.

Chia Muesli 

In a bowl, stir together the following ingredients. Then let it sit overnight in the refrigerator. This has a thick consistency.

1/2 cup Greek yogurt
1/4 cup oats
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1 tablespoon almonds
1 tablespoon walnuts
berries

This recipe is based loosely on a recipe from The Aztec Diet by Bob Arnot, a book I read this week, which focuses on chia seeds. I'm not going to go on the Aztec Diet, which calls for eating chia smoothies three times a day at first, but there are some recipes in the book that I'll try like this chia muesli I ate yesterday before my run.

My Long Run - Not!

Yesterday I planned to run 12 miles, but while I was running, things got in the way - a phone call that needed a follow-up, the wind, blah, blah and I only made it 8.46 miles because I...

...Ran back home to get a jacket and my dog and I made the follow-up phone call. By then, I was really cold and hungry so I didn't finish my run. See? Blah, blah, blah. Excuses!

I haven't decided whether I'll make it up or just skip my longer run this week, but I've got a plan. Next time, I'm wearing more layers and bringing a snack. I hope you finish all of your planned runs this week!

13 comments:

  1. I like adding chia to my oatmeal. I will have to try this recipe I think I have all the ingredients. At least you got in that many miles, better than none!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had Chia seeds but I see so many runners using them. I should check it out. Hope the rest of your week/runs go well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cut runs short and don't typically try to make it up. I think sometimes our bodies know what's best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think almost 8.5 is still pretty good!!! Maybe you could just tack an extra mile or so on your next couple of runs and call it good!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have greek yogurt, chia seeds, and a granola for breakfast every morning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you tried Huma gels? They are an all natural gel made with Chia seeds. You might really like them. They are a small company in TN, I think. I'm trying to incorporate more Chia seeds in my diet and tried their gels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember your good review of those on your blog! I still haven't found them locally, but when I do, they'd be fun to try.

      Delete
    2. I used 2 Huma gels in a half marathon I ran this past weekend and liked them. I had forgotten they have Chia seeds in them until I read your comment!

      Delete
    3. That's great to hear that they worked for you in your race!

      Delete
  7. I enjoy mixing these into power bowls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to try these recipes with Chia seeds. They're so beneficial to your health, but also make things so tasty! I like mixing mine with almond milk and berries and leaving them overnight in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't blame you for ending your run. I wouldn't be able to get back out there after all of that distraction either! I still think you got in a pretty good run.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have cut my long runs short simply because my legs were tired and I just was not feeling it! I am sure your long run this week will be much better since that is usually how it goes.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...