Weekend Fitness Links



What Ultra-Marathons Do to Our Bodies Some good and bad news in this post like more breathing problems for runners. After long runs, I've experienced a hoarse voice after my 20 milers, maybe from breathing in the pollen or the pollution.

No More Marathons… For Now. A dietician's take on what marathons do to the body. No matter what side of the fence you're on, interesting thoughts here. I've run 15 marathons and they've brought me a lot of fun adventures, but you don't have to run marathons to have fun running.

3 Ways to Beat Depression Through Exercise You don't have to sign up for a marathon in order to lift your spirits. You could simply go on a walk. This is good to hear if you're recovering from a running injury and can only walk. I did a lot of walking after my last marathon. Yesterday, I rode 6 miles and then I took my dog on a walk to the pond in the photo since she it wasn't a run day for me. She needs her exercise, too!

The Biggest Fitness Tech Trends From CES (Consumer Electronic Show) The video and article showcases many new fitness gadgets. Some will track your heart health or tell you how much sleep you need. More, right?! Also, I came across the Jawbone UP this week: sounds like a fun tracking gadget!

I found an Age Graded Calculator which said that for a 47 year old woman to finish a marathon in 3:58 (like my May Marathon) would be like running a 3:29 marathon. That makes me feel fast, sort of... I don't know what to think of those calculators!

Comments

  1. Thanks for these links. It's good to hear about the good, the bad, and the ugly and be educated about what you're doing to your body when running a great distance. I never thought about how many allergens I breathe in when running long distances (and I'm severely allergic to pollen)! That's definitely something to keep in mind, although I'm not going to let it effect how much I run...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still do my long runs, too. I just know to expect to sound a little funny afterwards!

      Delete
  2. I read the ultra one and it's really interesting. The breathing thing makes sense to me because they grouped allergies in with asthma. I would be willing to be the majority are allergies due to long plant exposure being outside so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, allergies cause some troubles, but it sure is nice to run outside!

      Delete
  3. ohh i gotta go checkout the age graded calculator...it will probably tell me I"m still slow, but that's ok haha!!

    It was crazy to be at CES and see all the fitness trackers, there were just so many that seemed exactly the same

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Sometimes having so many tracking gadgets makes it hard to pick a favorite, but I know of someone who has used and liked that Jawbone UP gadget.

      Delete
  4. Great links! I tried that age grade calculator and I don't understand it. I but in my half marathon time and it said for me to be at 100 percent my time should be 1:06???? I think I need to play around with this tool a little more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't noticed the 100 percent note until you mentioned it - I don't understand that part either.

      I just looked at the age-graded score and age-graded time, which was kind of interesting.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the links! That ultra one was really interesting. I recently started running trails and I never thought about factoring in the pollen. That's not so much an issue now, but definitely will be in the spring. I take an allergy pill daily, but in the spring I may have to supplement with Benadryl after a long run on trails to keep my allergies in check!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I do - take an OTC allergy pill during the spring and fall when my allergies are bothering me.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the links! The age graded calculators interest me.. There are some very fast masters runners where I live. Luckily they don't always enter the same races I do! haha. I can think of 3 or 4 women over 45 who run sub 3 marathons. They aren't famous, but locally they are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Encouraging to hear about those speedy over 45yo's!

      Delete
  7. That article about ultra running is very interesting!! I know that many people frown on it (even people I know have told me I shouldn't do it!!!).
    The age-calculator is very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be kind of rough to have folks telling you that you shouldn't be doing ultras. I'm afraid those words would be on my mind when my confidence was low during the hardest miles of a race.

      Delete
  8. The age calculator thing is awesome. Yay for old ladies! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some interesting links there! I will definitely enjoy reading some of these! Thanks for collecting them up :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am super aware of the effects of exercise on combating at least mild depression/anxiety. But walking doesn't seem to do it for me, at least not as well - or maybe I just have to walk a lot farther to get the effect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The age graded calculator is cool, but I think you are fast even without it. My goal for this one is close to 4:45

    ReplyDelete
  12. After long runs, I tend to have a small cough. It's like my body/lungs want/try to rid the pollens/allergens/pollution I just inhaled/sucked in for a long period of time! Fun articles!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the links. I am definitely going to look into the Age Graded Calculator so I can feel fast too :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt