Friday, January 31, 2014

Weekend Reads, Shoes & Socks


Time to share three links and two local sales that I found!

Up and Down or Sustained Running
Maybe my cut-back weeks, weeks with decreased running mileage, are unnecessary if I recover correctly each week. Food for thought!

What Are Strides? How to Run Strides in 3 Easy Steps
I did some strides at the end of yesterday's easy run. This video gives you the recipe for strides: how to do them and when to do them.

How Stuft Mama Tracks Shoe Mileage 
She uses a shoe box plan. Since I don't keep my boxes, I keep a shoe list on Evernote. Every few days, I update the list with the miles that I have run in each pair of shoes. At the top of the list, I keep the date that I last updated the list. Here's what it looks like.

My Running Shoe Mileage List
Last update- 1/28/14
Asics 2170 - 280
Asics Gel-Nimbus 14 - 89

Local Sales

Finding unexpected deals is a modern day treasure hunt! The Asics Gel-Nimbus shoes in my Mileage List are a new-to-me shoe. They're so plush that with nearly 100 miles on them, I still feel like I'm running on a cloud when I where them. I bought them from a local Gander Mountain on a good sale for $75.  

On another shopping trip, I found some Experia Thorlo socks for $7 at Marshall's. They're cushioned at the heel and toe and they just happen to match my Nimbus shoes. 

Update: Today, Kristin (Stuft Mama blogger) is running 37 miles for Sixty Feet on a treadmill! 

22 comments:

  1. Great links! Are those Thorlos "non" cotton? They looks so comfy! My mom just got some smartwool socks and left me try them and they are great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question! Here's what Thorlos are made up of: 66% CoolMax®, 20% Nylon, 1% Elastic, and 13% Polyester. I like Smartwool, too!

      Delete
  2. Great way to track your shoe life. I have so many sneakers I don't track them. I go by feel or if I need a bit of motivation, buy a new pair :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go by feel, too, but I use the 400 mile mark to start thinking about whether my shoes still feel good. I've noticed that certain models tend to last longer than others.

      Delete
  3. Ooooh that's a score on the Experia's. Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Experia is really good about offering lots of colors! I have some of them in navy blue and turquoise, too.

      Delete
  4. Holy moly! $7 for thorlo socks - I need to get to a Marshall's stat! Those are my favorite running socks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the socks near the cash registers. I hope your store carries them, too!

      Delete
  5. That is a great deal for that brand of socks! I haven't tried those, but I've read that they are really good socks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The $7 deal is even better than the runningwarehouse.com price. That's the cheapest online place I know of to find them.

      Delete
  6. I think I have a pair of the Gel Nimbus shoes but they were way more than $75 - gonna have to check out the sale!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if they're on sale now, but it's a good idea to check if you happen to be at the store. Good deal!

      Delete
  7. I'm so bad with keeping track of shoe mileage-- I kind of guess with months... I need to do better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you only wear one pair of shoes, I think estimating the miles on your shoes would work.

      Delete
  8. I've tried tracking shoe mileage but have pretty much given up. I go the route of buying a new pair of shoes every season; I can usually tell when it's time to buy a new pair.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I usually track my mileage in an excel sheet and link it to the shoe, it's easy. Sometimes it surprises me that the shoe looks good in general, but the mileage is already up. Then I look closer and realize how used the soles are.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I buy 2 pairs of shoes in October and March. I figure with about 30 miles a week, the two pairs last me 6 months. Seems to have worked for the past several years.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is it wrong that I got just a *smidge* excited that we have the same socks? My Mom brought them for me when my parents recently came to visit...perhaps she got them at the same Marshall's sale! =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i just got the new green and yellow nimbus from runningwarehouse.com - thanks to your discount code i got them down to 107!! i LOVE the nimbus. i just switched back after trying saucony triumphs for the past 10 mos. my ankles hurt so much the past few months. i think it's from the lower drop they have. i've run 50 miles in the nimbus the past two weeks and the pain has really eased up. guess i should never have switched!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great to hear that the Asics Nimbus are working for you and that the Running Warehouse code (in my sidebar) saved you money!

      Delete
  13. oh and that article about the cut back week is awesome! i've been thinking about this a lot and since i have a good base i decided early jan that i would try to ramp up in 8 weeks with no cut back week and see if could run a marathon. so far so good. recovery has been great. the first few weeks i ran 5 days. as my long run gets higher (16,18 and 20) i'll run just 4 days and rest/walk/strength train lightly the other days. we'll see how it goes. i love to experiment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing how you're training! I love to hear that kind of info! I like to experiment, too, and seeing what other runners do gives me ideas on what to try.

      Delete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...