15 Mile Run & Yogurt Dip


Since I might run a race that's longer than a half marathon after I run the March 1 Woodlands Half Marathon, I ran 15 miles today instead of the planned 13 on the plan in the Run Faster book.

I happened to have a package of Powerbar chews in the pantry so I took it along, eating one every mile starting at the 5th mile. It was nice to have a sweet treat to look forward to. It was a bit of an incentive on a windy day. I'm not complaining, though, the sun was out and it was 40F - nice compared to yesterday's rainy workout.

I made a yogurt dip to eat after the run. You really don't need a recipe to make it, but here's what I mixed up in my nearly empty yogurt container. You can't beat snacks that don't dirty any dishes!

Greek Yogurt Peanut Butter Dip

  • 3/4 cup Greek yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon peanut butter
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • dash of vanilla extract
  • honey to taste
Adding mashed banana or cocoa powder would be good, too.

The first time I put peanut butter in yogurt, I didn't like it, but some recipes grow on you. Others never will...

Don't Mess With Cauliflower 

I apologize to the 20 Pinterest pinners who pinned the baked cauliflower tots recipe after I pinned it to my "Must Try" board! I like cauliflower, but apparently not if it's pretending to be something else like potatoes in tater tots or even mashed potatoes. Years ago, I mixed cauliflower in with mashed potatoes thinking that my family wouldn't notice and now, they'll never let me forget!

Comments

  1. I'm such a wimp. It was in the 40s for the little 5k this morning, and I was beyond cold. I couldn't imagine going for a longer run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we were in the 40s - instead it is single digits and we have over a foot of snow on the ground (pretty sure we will have the snow for weeks based on the forecast!).
    I don't think I would like cauliflower masking as potatoes - mostly because I love potatoes and I think mentally it would be hard to get past that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Greek yogurt by itself, but I just can't get behind mixing it with things. I need to figure out a way to get on board.

    Great run!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, I'm going to try that dip (but with sun butter because sadly I'm allergic to peanut butter)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on your 15 miler! I always like having yummy race fuel for something to look forward to as well.

    Speaking of cauliflower, one time my husband and I found a recipe on pinterest for cauliflower breadsticks so we tried to make them. Yeeeaaah, it didn't work, nor did it even taste that great! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I served my dad mashed cauliflower posing as potatoes once. No bueno. 40's is about 50 degrees warmer than it is here right now. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too funny about the cauliflower! I only eat it raw or with cheese sauce on top. That's it.
    I like your yogurt dip idea! I make savory dips with it for veggies, but should branch out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmmm. Not sure about pb in yogurt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you know I understand. We can still be friends!

      Delete
  9. I fully believe that Greek yogurt is a blank slate, meant to be turned sweet - or savory - depending on my mood and the time of day! I've even been known to mix in some peanut butter, then add a few chocolate chips! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate chips and wheat germ, too! That's what I added yesterday.

      Delete
  10. 15 miles, that's a nice long run! :) I haven't tried the Powerbar chews, but have been meaning to. I've found that I sometimes like a little chew rather than a gel on a long run after around 12 miles or so. I start getting hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmm I'll have to try that recipe I have all those ingredients on hand!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt