Thursday, March 20, 2014

18 Miles, Then 10


This Week's Long Run
I ran 18 miles for my long run. It's kind of funny how your feellings change during a long run. With 5 miles to go, I knew I'd finish. With 4 miles to go, it seemed like I'd never finish! With 3 miles to go, once again, I was sure I'd finish. It was a good run, though. The weather was nice (50-67 degrees) and all day long people kept talking about the perfect weather. My Asics Nimbus 14 shoes (on the left in the photo) kept my feet cushioned on my run.
Berry-flavored Tailwind Nutrition 
Before the run, I ate a bowl of rice. During the run, I used my 22 ounce Nathan handheld bottle filled with two scoops of berry Tailwind Nutrition. Berry has a fruity taste and isn't too sweet. Last week, I tried mandarin orange and I like both flavors. At mile 2, I started sipping my drink every 2 miles. At mile 9, I started sipping every mile. I looked forward to counting down each mile and drinking more as I ticked off the miles.

Then I Ran 10 Miles
The next day, I ran 10 miles without a pre-run meal or any food on the run. My legs felt nice and light. Maybe part of the reason for that is that I was running in my comfortable new Brooks Ravenna 4 shoes with a good-sized toe box. (Lately, I've been rotating the two pairs mentioned in this post.) I finally started feeling tired in the last mile, but knowing that I made it through 18 miles the day before and that I was about to complete my 10 mile run made me feel great.

Deer!
I saw two or three deer during each run. One day, they ran in the same direction that I was running. It felt like I was running with them!

More Tailwind Info & Blogs
Here's a Tailwind Nutrition reviews page, in case you'd like to know more about it. Besides nutrition information, I found some new blogs that I'd like to visit on that page. You might, too!

21 comments:

  1. Beast mode! 18 then 10 miles - you go girl! You are gonna rock that ultra. That is awesome that you 'ran' with deer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean - with 5 left in my 11 miler yesterday, I was like, "I could run 8 more miles!" but then when I got to the point where there were only 2.5 miles left, THEN I decided I was tired...

    What do you think about your ravennas? I can't decide. They're fine for me for a few miles, then my feet start to cramp up. Do you experience this as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had that happen with my shoes, but I wonder if your shoes are too small or if the laces are too tight. I did notice that I wear a smaller size shoe in Brooks than in Asics.

      Delete
  3. Look at you rocking out those runs! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of miles!
    It is amazing how your feelings change during a run. I went from a sobbing wuss to a yahooing downhill sprinter in my last race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah, racing can cause extreme mood swings!

      Delete
  5. So awesome ... and it's great you could do a 10 miler the following day and feel well. I love the colors on the new Ravennas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! Great job on the 18 and then coming back with a 10 the next day!! I'm working on back to back double digit days but it is hard to balance and still stay injury free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about trying to stay injury free! Running harder in any way makes me feel a little like I'm walking on eggshells.

      Delete
  7. Wow. a 28 mile weekend is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice job on the 28 mile weekend!

    I'd kill for 67° right now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job on the back to back!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good job on the back to back runs. I started that last year and thought it was really tough to get used to but now I do it all the time. Not to say it's easy, but at least my head has gotten used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are amazing! I can't believe you ran 18 and then 10 the next day. Wonder Woman! I totally relate to the mental state you described while running. When I'm on a long run, I'll feel unstoppable one moment and defeated the next. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dang you are tough! Glad you made it through both runs w/ (relative) ease. I hear you on the mental battles. For me, no matter how long the run is, 3 miles or 10, I always feel defeated until I hit the halfway point.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You inspire me! I wish I could run 18 miles and then another 10 the next day and still feel good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I worked up to it little by little. You could do it!

      Delete
  14. Love the 18/10!! Great work out there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, 28 miles in 2 days!! That is huge! Good job, you will do great at the 50k!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great job on the back-to-back long runs! That's great that your legs felt so good on the 10 miles the day after your 18 miler. Remember this back to back during your 50K :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...