50K Training Week Thru March 30


My Next Race - My 1st 50K!
Hog's Hunt 50K Trail Race (Texas) May 10 (less than 6 weeks)

When I stand at the starting line of my next 50K, it will be my second time to be there. In 2012, I made it halfway through the race after hurting my ankle on a tree root. (Here's the recap.) Even though it was a DNF (my only one so far, so yay!), I feel more confident about trying a 50K now that I have some experience with that race. Hopefully, that will pay off on race morning!

Exercise Videos I Used This Week

Core H Routine: Coach Jay
Myrtl Routine: Coach Jay
Single Leg Exercise: Sally McRae

Post-run Snacks
For chocolate milk, I sometimes I like to use homemade chocolate syrup. The recipe at Comfort of Cooking is good and easy, too. You heat up and stir together 1/4 cup cocoa powder, 1/2 cup water, 1 cup sugar, 1/8 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. vanilla. After being refrigerated, it thickens. Sometimes I add chia seeds to my chocolate milk, but just some milk and a banana makes a good snack, too.

Summary of This Week's Training

3/24- strength training
3/25- 20 mile run (2nd half faster, some trails)
3/26- 4 mile run (shin hurts so I didn't run my planned 10), strength training
3/27- strength training, cycling 1 hour 21 minutes followed by a 5 mile run (shin is fine!)
3/28- 8 mile run
3/29- 10 mile run with 6 miles on trails. Running trails makes the time go by faster!
3/30- 8 mile run, strength training

Totals
Run- 55 miles
Bike- 1 hour and 21 minutes
Strength Train- 4 sessions
Nature: coyote, 5 deer, spring flowers including the Texas state flower: bluebonnets

Comments

  1. Awesome job this week! I love chocolate milk after a long run, so refreshing.

    That picture is gorgeous - are those bluebonnets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are bluebonnets and Indian paint brush flowers that I saw this weekend on my run. One of the perks of running - spotting the new flowers each spring!

      Delete
  2. Great job Tina! Are you following a specific training program or just designing your own? I'm hoping to run a 50k this fall and am looking for training ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm making up my own plan using ideas from posts/sites I've found online. In one of my upcoming posts, I'll link to them. Thanks for the idea!

      Delete
  3. Jealous of all those flowers, we just got more snow...boo.
    I agree trails makes the run go by so much faster. Looks like you had a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why you'd be tired of the snow! On the trail, stepping over sticks and going up and down little hills used different muscles than I used on the flat path. Change was good!

      Delete
  4. Wow - great week of training - 55 is a lot of miles and then all the other!!!
    I like that single leg strength move that you linked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good exercise for balance. I saw improvement after only a couple of weeks!

      Delete
  5. I'm all about chocolate milk right now after a workout. And smoothies! Something about the cold and smooth texture is very satisfying. What will be your peak mileage (for a day) before the big race? Will you actually run a marathon distance or do you top out under 26?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smoothies are one of my favorite foods after a long run because I don't always feel like eating afterwards, but I can always drink something. I think my longest run before the 50K will be 24 miles.

      Delete
  6. Great training. Ouch for tripping on that tree stump! Can't wait to see how your next 50K goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think the biggest challenge will be picking my feet up over the roots. Hopefully, a few miles of trail training will pull me through to the end of the 50K this time.

      Delete
  7. Great training week. I would love to do a trail run but, like you have experienced, the footing can be challenging. Keep up the good workouts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! After not finishing the 50K in 2012, it did take me a while before I felt like tackling trails again. They're a challenge!

      Delete
  8. You are impressive! I would love to listen to books while I run. What app do you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Librivox for older books and Overdrive for the newer library books that I listen to. I hope you can get it set up so that you can listen to books, too!

      Delete
  9. You are such an inspiration! 55 miles is so impressive ... it sounds like you are on the right path for the 50k. I'm really looking forward to reading your race story when you finish it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really excited about finishing my first race that's over 26.2, but I keep reminding myself that it's only about 5 miles over so I don't stress about it too much!

      Delete
  10. Your training is looking really good. You'll ace the 50k this time. I'm a huge chocolate milk fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Sometimes I even bring my own chocolate milk to races just to make sure that I have something good to drink post-race.

      Delete
  11. Awesome week!! Did the coyote freak you out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was kind of shocked. I stopped running to watch it run beside me and back to the woods. Another runner came by and we chatted about the coyote because she saw it, too. It was fun!

      Delete
  12. Great job, Tina! It looks like your training is spot-on for that 50k.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chad, and thanks for being a first-time commenter on my blog!

      Delete
  13. Fantastic week of training!! Should make for a great 50K!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are really cranking out the mileage! I can't wait to see how your race goes. Love the name of the race, too, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. 6 weeks! Time is flying!! You will do great at this race! You are ready!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

50 Mile Race Coming Up