First Run with Tailwind Nutrition


During this week's 16 mile run, I tried something new. Since the five 4-serving packets of Tailwind Nutrition that I ordered on Saturday arrived on Monday (fast!), I used it this week.

A hand-written note was included with my Tailwind Nutrition. Little things like that are a nice touch. I told my husband about the note. I'm telling you. It was a great first impression.

To prepare for my 16 miler, I put two scoopfuls of the Mandarin Orange flavor into my 22 ounce Nathan water bottle and topped it off with water. I started drinking it at mile 5. One serving, or one scoop, is similar to the average gel in the number of calories and carbohydrates that I normally use. The small packets that I bought didn't come with scoops, but 1 scoop equals 2.4 tablespoons.

3 Reasons I Like Tailwind Nutrition (Mandarin Orange flavor)
  1. It mixes easily.
  2. It's clear. No fears about getting orange stain on my clothes.
  3. I like the mild orange taste. It isn't too sweet or too salty. The first taste was salty, but after that it was fine. There are 303 mg. of sodium per scoop so I won't need a salt pill.
Time/Pace for the Run
Tailwind Nutrition is all that I needed for my 16 mile run, which took me 2 3/4 hours at a 10:26 average pace. I picked up the speed towards the end with two miles at sub-10. 

The Verdict on Tailwind's Mandarin Orange
I like everything about the orange flavor and I can't wait to try the other flavors: lemon, berry, unflavored and raspberry (caffeinated). This gives me something extra to look forward to for next week's long run. 

Comments

  1. Nice run!! I've never heard of Tailwind Nutrition before, but I'm always up for trying something new. I like flavored drinks, but I think it's great that they offer an unflavored option too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I agree - an unflavored option is nice for those long runs when you only feel like water, but need something more.

      Delete
  2. I may have to look into this. I really hate taking gels and most of the flavored drinks are too much for me (too sweet, mostly). This could be a great option!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only used it once, but it seems like a great option for those who would rather drink their fuel.

      Delete
  3. Yay, I'm so glad you liked it. I really enjoy Tailwind and have been very impressed with their company as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hearing about a new-to-me product ... will you replace gels completely with it, is that the idea? I keep experimenting with what works for me and still haven't fully nailed it yet. My only trouble with the larger Nathan handheld is that my hands are small and its too large for me, but I don't like a waist pack either. This dilemma is the main reason I haven't moved over to liquid based ... but I want to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think it would be great to run a race using only Tailwind. I put my small hand through the bottle strap and let it hang rather than hold the bottle. At the beginning of warm weather season, the full bottle feels heavy but soon I'll hardly notice it. Maybe you'd like a pack on your back. I hope you find a solution!

      Delete
  5. I have never heard of them before, but the flavors all sound great, I tend to love lemon and raspberry things in general. Does it bother your stomach at all? I quit using GU/gels lately a) my runs really havent been long enough and I am just kind of over them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tailwind worked great for me and I had no stomach issues. I'll do an update after a few more uses to let people know if I had any problems.

      Delete
  6. I think I might like that much better than gels or goo - I don't mind drinking stuff (even though I usually just stick with water) and I'm trying to figure out what to use for my big race in May.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you'll probably need more than water for a 50 mile race!

      Delete
  7. I love learning about new products and had never heard of Tailwind, so I'll have to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! That makes me glad that I posted about it!

      Delete
  8. I hadn't heard of Tailwind before! This is great timing, though, as I'm starting to look into all-liquid options for fueling a long run/race. Although I like the taste of the gels I currently use, and have no problem with the texture, I'm finding that during a race I just don't want to take in any non-liquids. I have to force myself to take gels. So if I could find something that would work like a gel, like Tailwind, that would be great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there are lots of good flavored gels, too, but since I'm considering a trail race I thought it might be easier to use Tailwind.

      Delete
  9. Awesome run! I have never heard of that before...but I love trying new drinks :).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anytime I get a handwritten note in with a package I instantly love it that much more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting product!

    I've tried many things before, during and after races, and I seem to do better with just plain water and the occasional sharky. Before the race it's oatmeal, and after... well after, anything goes! Piles on crepes with maple syrup and fruit are the best though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing how you fuel! I like to get ideas from other runners. Crepes are a great idea!

      Delete
    2. Tina, great product reviews along with the race review. Wishing you the best on your May race.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt