My 20 Mile Run


My First 20 Miler of the Season
I averaged 10:05/mile and the second half was the fastest part of my run. I ventured into the woods a little here and there, but I was on an asphalt road in the park most of the time because I can run faster there and I need to work on my speed. Since I'd like to run a 50K trail race on May 10, running through the woods is good training, though.

Wild Animals
When I was running through the woods, I scared a deer so I started calling out, "Running through!" Then I saw a coyote - my first I've ever seen at the park! And then I saw a great heron with a big fish hanging out of its mouth. It flew away with the fish hanging out of its mouth the whole time, which looked kind of funny.

Zoe, the Weimaraner
In the top photo, my dog is on one of the trails through the woods. She's got her eye out for deer or maybe even a coyote!



Fuel During the Run
Now I've used Tailwind Nutrition on a 16, 18 and 20 mile run. This time, I mixed Tailwind Nutrition Raspberry Buzz (2 scoops) and Unflavored (1 scoop) for 300 calories and 75 carbs total in my 24 ounce bottle. I liked this combination, but in a race I might only use the raspberry flavor because it's caffeinated. The raspberry is fruity and a little salty. The unflavored has a bit of taste to it, but it's hard for me to pinpoint what it tastes like. They were both good. Together, the taste was a mild, fruity taste. Starting at mile 3, I drank a little every mile. I felt good for the whole run!

Comments

  1. Sounds like a great run, does your dog run the whole distance with you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually run by my house and pick her up at the end of each run. Now that she's 9yo she can't run as far as she'd like to, but she loves to go with me!

      Delete
  2. Great job on the 20 miler! I haven't tried the raspberry Tailwind yet. How much caffeine is in it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! 35 mg. in one scoop/serving of Tailwind. For comparison, PowerBar Gel Strawberry Banana has 25mg Caffeine.

      Delete
  3. Well done on your 20 mile run! The woods looks like a lovely place to run!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun 50K plans!! I'm doing one at the end of May :) Zoe's so cute and so in huntress mode I imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you figured your nutrition out. I always have stomach issues with food, this might be a good option!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great run! The scenery looks lovely and the company of your coyote watching dog seems fun. I love seeing all of the wildlife while on a run...even if it's just the prairie dogs chirping at me as I run by. It reminds me of the freedom in running!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's awesome ... congrats on a great 20 miler! That's good you are liking this fueling source and are having a good experience with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job on the 20 miles - WooHoo to a faster 2nd half!!!
    That trail sounds like a really cool place to run - so much nature!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 20 miles - good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome job on the 20 miler, and on the negative split!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

50 Mile Race Coming Up