Monday, March 17, 2014

Running, Riding & Chia Chocolate Milk



Weekly Summary

Last week was a good workout week. I looked forward to my workouts and finished them feeling strong. I ran 45 miles, rode 13.5 miles and strength-trained, too.

Ramping up the Miles 

I ran a 16 miler on Tuesday and then I ran 8 miles the next day. Next, I'd like to do long runs followed by 10 milers the next day. I'm training for a 50K trail race on May 10 here in Texas: the Hog's Hunt.

Riding and Running

In addition to running, I like to ride my bike every week. I think it's good to change my exercise routine a bit and it's fun to ride. Saturday I rode 13.5 miles. Immediately after that, I ran 5 miles. After 1/4 mile, my tired legs felt normal and I was able to run negative splits. Those miles were some of the fastest I did all week.

Chia Chocolate Milk

After that ride and run, I was in a hurry so I drank my already prepared chia chocolate milk while I got ready to head out the door for some Saturday fun like going to the local running store and out to lunch with my husband.

I mixed the following ingredients together and then I let it sit overnight so that the chia seeds softened.
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 tablespoon chia seeds
  • chocolate drink powder
  • Yummy optional add-ins: peppermint extract or peanut butter

Want to do a trail race in Texas, too?

You can listen to Operation Ultra Podcast to hear about trail race course descriptions including the Huntsville Rocky Raccoon ultra near Houston. That race is held in the same location as the Hog's Hunt that I'd like to do.

I hope you have a great week full of fun running!

22 comments:

  1. Nice week of workouts!! 45 miles of running + biking AND strength training - all I can say is, wow!

    Trail running intimidates me a bit from a bad experience, but it does look like a lot of fun. I kind of want to try it again sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Getting back on the trails after a not-so-great experience is just what I'm doing.

      Delete
  2. Nice training! I wish I could do a trail race in Texas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'd like to run a race in South Africa, where you live!

      Delete
  3. I have never done a trail race, but I think I would love it! I live in Texas so I need to look up these races! I need to learn more about trail races though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lot of fun to run off-road!

      Delete
  4. Very nice mileage ... you are gearing up well! I would like to try a trail race one of these days. I'm thinking about it for next year and have one here in mind that would be a good first trail race to try. I'm looking forward to following your journey on this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think more people are running trail races now and that probably means that more races will be created. Good news for those of us looking for races to run!

      Delete
  5. That drink sounds delicious and like a great recovery drink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It worked out perfectly for holding me over until I ate lunch at our favorite Mexican restaurant.

      Delete
  6. Great week of training!!
    Too bad we don't live closer - we could train together some. I'm planning the same type of running this week - some back to back long runs to push my tired legs while I get ready for May 10 (50 mile).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be fun! On the 50 mile race, I just can't wrap my head around the thought of running so far! Looking forward to hearing about your training and the race!

      Delete
  7. Love the sound of chia chocolate milk! And the trail run! Good luck with your training and I hope it keeps going well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adding chia seeds was a fun change to my usual chocolate milk. Thanks!

      Delete
  8. Wow, such solid training- way to go!! And that chocolate chia milk sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice milage last week, sounds like its going pretty good. I don't know why but I really like to drink chia seeds, although I think I have only had them in kombucha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another solid week of training. Good job! I love the name of that 50K. Ultra's always seem to have the coolest names :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an excellent week! I cannot wait to get outside on my bike. It's been a long, tough winter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That chocolate chia sound so yummy! I wish I could buy that already made! You had a great week of workouts girl! A 50K, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice training, and great run after riding your bike. Maybe you'll add some swimming and join me for a triathlon some day??

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds like a great run. I wish there were a 50K near us. It would be a terrific first ultra. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never heard of adding chia seeds to chocolate milk but that is not a bad idea! A 50k sounds so intimidating to me. Some day, I might run an ultra...SOME DAY.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...