Monday, April 21, 2014

24 Mile Run, Then 10 Miles



I'm training for a 50K trail race that will be held on May 10. I've never completed a 50K race before, but since the 50K is only about 5 miles longer than a marathon, I think I can do it. Having a good training week like this last one doesn't hurt either!

This Week's 50K Race Training (60 miles of running)

4/14- 12 mile run (trails and hills), short walk (saw a bald eagle)Arms Video (Fitness Blender- good explanations on how to do the exercises correctly)
4/15-  6 mile run, Abs & Core Video (Denise Austin)
4/16- Strength Training
4/17- 24 mile run 
4/18- 10 mile run (legs felt surprisingly good, saw a bald eagle)
4/19- 15 mile bike ride; Push-ups, Planks, Wall-sits, Single leg stance squat and reach for balance (video
4/20- 8 mile run (1200m x 5), Myrtl Video (hips)

Long Run Details - 24 Miles

Pre-run: pancakes (added cinnamon & vanilla), 3 hours before running
During run: Tailwind Nutrition powder 
Post-run: blueberry kefir 

My 24 mile run took me about 4 hours and is the longest training run I've done this year. I used nearly 5 servings of Tailwind Nutrition powder (similar to 5 gels) because before the run I thought that the run would take 5 hours. In the 23rd mile, my stomach was slightly uncomfortable so I didn't finish drinking the last of the Tailwind and felt fine after a while. Lessons like this are great to figure out before race day so it's all good!

Update: Now I'm wondering if only using caffeinated Tailwind made my stomach feel a little uncomfortable in the last miles. Other than that, I loved how easy it was to use.

This run had short hills, some rain, the last 10 miles on muddy trails and two deer at the 22nd mile. It's a good thing I'm doing some balance exercises like the "single leg stance squat and reach" because I needed to carefully run around mud puddles, sometimes coming to a quick stop. When I was done, I was especially glad that I never fell in the mud!

17 comments:

  1. Great job this week! You have some killer legs to be able to do so many back-to-back long runs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I am so in Aww at how great you are! You are gonna rock this race. I can't believe how close it is coming up now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great week! I can't wait to be able to put in those long runs again like that. I had a roommate in college who did Denise Austin videos all the time, I still get a little annoyed thinking about it, I think it was her voice. I never did try them though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice week! I have no doubt you'll rock a 50k.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another great week! You are definitely going to be ready come race day. Glad the Tailwind is still working out well for you! Sounds like you've got race day nutrition/hydration all set.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for another really great week! That 10 miles after 24 is amazing ... it will pay off on race day for sure! You are going strong! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dang - you had an incredible week of training!! Not much longer till the big day - you are going to do awesome in that 50K!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to finished the back-to-back long runs, and your longest of the year thus far. I love breaking the ice with a long run because you learn so much about where your body is at, how it feels and what nutrition it needs at different mile markers. You are going to be all set for race day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds like a great week Tina! Looks like you are all set for your 50K.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow so amazing. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your training is going very well. You will have a super 50k. It's getting close now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, your training is incredible!! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice work...training going fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your training is going great. I can't wait to see how you do. I've got my eye on a 50K in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be fun to follow along with your 50K training if you decide to do that!

      Delete
  15. Wow, this is awesome! I peaked at a 24 mile run when I trained. I sure hope this goes well for you! I am still on the fence about doing the one I did the past two June's. We'll see.. for now, I'll love through you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's good to hear that your longest training run was 24, too. I s'pose it's fairly equivalent to running 20 before 26.2, not that running 20 ever made finishing a marathon easy for me!

      Delete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...