Sunday, April 27, 2014

Brazos Bend 25K Race Recap



I ran in a fun 25K (about 15.5 miles) race on Saturday at Brazos Bend State Park near Houston. The photo shows what much of the scenery was like for the Brazos Bend race: lots of trees and some lakes. There was also a 50 mile, 50K and 10K race.

Results: 
  • 2:36. I hoped to finish in 3 hours, or maybe even 2:45, so I'm happy with this time. 10:11/mile average pace. 
  • 56th overall out of 180 runners 


Weather/Clothes: 

humid and slightly warm, overcast, Skirt Sports Women's Adventure Girl Skirt (lots of pockets!), Target tank top, Nike cap, Asics Gel-Nimbus shoes 

Course: 


I was surprised to find most of the course was on a wide flat dirt/gravel path and mostly free of roots. The hardest section was the short trail with hardened horse shoe holes where I had to watch my step and that wasn't too bad. 

Parking: 

I left home at 4:30 and was in a parking space by 5:45. Even with morning packet pick-up and two bathroom trips (real bathrooms!), I had plenty of time to spare with a race start at 7. Parking was easy since I was early and volunteers guided drivers.

A Rule I'd Never Disobey!

Fuel Pre-run (3AM): pancakes (added cinnamon & vanilla), syrup and a banana

Fuel During Race: 3 servings Tailwind Nutrition powder in my 22 oz. Nathan handheld bottle

Post-marathon Food: PB & J sandwich quarters and Oreos. Plus, chocolate milk that I brought with me.

To Improve: 

I used Tailwind drink powder in my bottle. It was great to not stop for anything along the way, but at my next race, a 50K, I think I'll drink more water if it's warm again. I felt a little bit off in the last mile or so. Hopefully, I'll get my fueling right at my next race. Update: Now I'm wondering if only using caffeinated Tailwind made my stomach feel a little uncomfortable in the last miles. Other than that, I loved how easy it was to use.


The Start/Finish Line

3 Things That Went Well:
  • Carrying a Nathan handheld bottleI prefer the bottle because it doesn't make my back hot like a pack might and I can see how much I have left in my bottle.
  • Food at the aid station near the finish line for post-race food. I only stopped at this table, but it had salt tabs, Hammer gels, chips, M & M's, Gatorade Endurance, Oreos and more. 
  • I didn't have to run around any alligators or wild hogs. After the race, I finally spotted an alligator in a lake.

What's Next?

I'm a little anxious and very excited to run my longest race ever - a 50K trail race on May 10! 

27 comments:

  1. Great job on your race, you blew your goal out of the water! Glad you didn't run into any wild alligators or hogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! It is always nice when you exceed your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You exceeded your goal by a lot! Nice. But alligators and wild hogs? Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That run location looks gorgeous. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job!! You crushed your goal for the race!
    Are you going to run much this week or are you cutting back now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's taper time... I have 30 running miles total on my calendar for this week with the longest run being 10 miles.

      Delete
  6. Well done - you totally surpassed your expectations! The scenery looks beautiful, but I am not sure about those alligators...!
    There seem to be a lot of packs around with front holding water bottles now which are easier to gauge how much is left, - I agree that is a frustration with a bladder!
    Best wishes for your 50k!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Good point about the packs! That could be really helpful.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations Tina what a great race you had! You blew that goal right up. Looks really nice there as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job Tina! So glad you didn't run into any wild animals along the way. I find that just electrolytes or liquid carbs does start to bother me too after a long time. Still trying to strike the right balance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One great think about Tailwind is how easy it is to use. I can skip opening gel packets and taking salt tabs since it's a powder added to water. I also have to consider the weather - more humid lately. Hopefully, I'll get it right at the race!

      Delete
  9. Congrats!!! You are really doing so well this Spring and it sounds like you are definitely ready for the 50k. I hear you on running with a handheld vs a pack of some sort. I prefer a handheld myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent race. It helps when the scenery is nice. Time seems to fly by.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't believe your 50K is right around the corner - time flew by! I lived in Houston for 5 years and was never exposed to the trail running and scenery that you often share on here. My runs were always in Memorial Park or near Rice. I wish I would have known about all of these awesome places when I lived there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to live a few blocks away from Memorial Park. What was really fun there was running on the trails on the south side of the park. There were little hills, lots of trees and roots and it was more fun than the flat loop where you see most runners at the park.

      But now you live in such a great running area - Bend, Oregon, I think. Nice!

      Delete
  12. Looks like a really pretty location for a race! Although sometimes lakes mean lots of bugs. I cannot imagine having to be on lookout for alligators during a race, yikes! We have wild hogs in the area, but thankfully I've never seen one while out on a run.

    Great job coming in under your goal time! Your 50K is so close. I know you're going to rock it! I think you're really well prepared for this race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've seen a huge wild hog while I was running. I ran in the other direction when I saw it!

      Delete
  13. Awesome job!! Looks like a gorgeous course - glad you had a fun time (and didn't see any gators during the race lol)!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, awesome job!! I remember seeing that race in Houston but I never ran it... I would have been surprised at the flat trails, too. Sounds like a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job! Looks like you are all set for a great 50k in May!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! You are really doing great -- you will be all set for your 50k in just a couple weeks. I have never tried a handheld, but I have been considering one lately to help with long training runs. Do you like the one you have?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do like my Nathan Quickdraw Plus Water Bottle. I have two of them and they came in handy when I ran a marathon in PA last year, too.

      Delete
  17. Well done! That looks like a lovely event! Yay for the 50k coming up! I always get excited when I hear or read about trail ultras. Something very special about them and you will experience that on 10 May. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Whoa congratulations! You were WAY under your goal, thats awesome! I am in awe that you are going for a 50k!!! My debut marathon about killed me last year, I cannot imagine running more. I hope to plan it better this time, and hit break the magic 2:40 barrier.

    I love the way you broke this race down, I wish all races had a post like this!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It sounds like such a fun, beautiful run! Congrats on such a great time too! I used to have a handheld Nathan water bottle that I loved, but I have NO IDEA what happened to it!? I think I'll need to get a new one. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations!!! You did amazing!!! Good luck with the big race!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, awesome job!!! The alligator sign would have done me in. Here in the Midwest I just can't imagine!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...