Friday, May 23, 2014

My 39 Mile Run Recovery


Fun Race Recovery

After running 39 miles (an extra long 50K race) on May 10, I've rested with active recovery: easy runs, rides and walks.

Last Saturday, my husband and I spent the day going on adventures. We walked through Mercer Arboretum and I took more pictures like the ones above. We ate sandwiches and homemade cookies beside a lake. After our picnic, we rode our bikes. That's my kind of active recovery!

Longest Run

Yesterday I ran my longest run since the race - 10 miles. Before the run, I ate a hard-boiled egg and a corn bread muffin. Then I started my run. After three easy miles, I set out on the trails with some easy hill running. After a dried apricot/water break, I sped up for miles 8 and 9. Then I finished off with a nice, easy mile with my Weimaraner. (I usually run close to home and I can pick her up to run with me.) It was a great run and those apricots saved the day.

Blisters, Chafing and Toe Nails

After my 50K, there was no chafing or blisters, but I did have 3 purple toe nails. They don't hurt. New ones will grow in their places and they give my husband something to tease me about... Although he never really needs new material.

Thanks!

Thank you for all of the encouraging comments about my 50k (here and here)! I wish all of you had been there to run with me to fill in the long sections between the times when the two aid station volunteers ran with me.

Totals 

(Week of 5/17-23)
Run Miles: 27
Ride Miles: 16
Wild Animals: one dead snake that my husband spotted that required a stop to identify it. (Wait, must we?!) Did you know that rounded eyes means it's probably not venomous. Just one problem - I'm not stopping long enough to check!

Inspiration!

Libby Jones Interview - Libby Jones started racing at age 40 and she's 77 now. She's fast and she isn't slowing down!

20 comments:

  1. I love dried apricots...never thought about using them for running fuel though. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might like to try other dried fruit, too. I've eaten dates and raisins on the run, also.

      Delete
  2. Great active recovery! I like the idea of apricots during a run.

    I have no desire to stop and ID snakes either. I rather just get going faster away from it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's next on the agenda for you? Are you planning on enjoying some down time or will you jump right in for another race?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been thinking about a 21K trail race that isn't too far from home this summer, but I'm not sure yet.

      Delete
  4. Wow, you are amazing! I can't imagine running that much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your day with your husband sounds wonderful! Can't wait to see what adventure race you do next!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your active recovery. Sounds like you gave your body a much needed break!!! Will you do more ultras?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally read the title of this post as "My 39 Mile Recovery Run" and I was like wait a minute...

    Glad recovery is going well! Your walk, picnic, and bike ride sound like a nice day :) I'm with you! I'm not looking close enough at a snake to see it's eyes to determine whether it's venomous or not. Venom or not, all snakes bite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I see what you mean about my post title!

      Delete
  8. Recovery weeks are the best - it's more like a go with the flow week! Sounds like you are ready to ramp back up! How is a 50 miler looking to you?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like a fun challenge - not as intimidating as it did before this race. Maybe someday!

      Delete
  9. You're such a power house! I'm starting to think that dried apricots are a really good idea, so I can have the same energy you have!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you are recovering well! I didn't know that about snake eyes ... I've learned something new :) I might have to try dried apricots and ideas like that when I get back to longer miles. They sound appealing during a run!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a delightful recovery period!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't you just love recovery? Running seems so easy when there is no schedule to follow or speed sessions to do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want to be Libby Jones.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your gentle run with a picnic sounds delightful. I'm in a similar space with my training. I just passed two skating tests, now I can do whatever I want for a while. Thanks for the pointer to Libby Jones, she is indeed inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so impressed you managed a ten miler already! Sounds like your body is bouncing back really well. Enjoy all the fun recovery activities. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...