Friday, June 27, 2014

Run, Ride, Read


Running

My favorite run of the week was my 8.5 mile run because I felt like I worked hard and that I could have run farther even in the sticky humidity. After a three mile warm-up, I ran 0.7 mile four times (with 0.25 rests). This was a good distance because there's a 0.7 mile long road at the park where I run. Cars don't usually drive on the road and it has water fountains near each end.

I wish I had been able to run negative splits, but it was a positive split kind of day. Finished with my run, I felt pretty good about the workout as I dripped into my house. It's the time of year to keep towels near my door again!

This week I only ran 4 times instead of my preferred 5-6 times a week. I needed to give my hip flexor a break. Every once in awhile, it feels uncomfortable when I take a step so I rest it.

Riding

I rode my bike a little more than 15 miles this week. I went for two rides with my husband and just happened to hit my weekly goal of 15 miles.

Reading

Are you looking for some summer reading? I haven't read it yet, but I have this book on hold at the library: Long Mile Home: Boston Under Attack, the City's Courageous Recovery and the Epic Hunt for Justice.

Red, White & Blue Breakfast

I ate a patriotic colored breakfast today of red and blue berries on French toast topped with yogurt. I'm a little early, but this breakfast is just right for the 4th of July. Happy Independence Day!

18 comments:

  1. That french toast looks yummy! May have to make some next Friday! Great job this week on training... any races coming up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I registered for a marathon in February and I might do something before that, but summertime seems like a good time to take a break from races and to focus on building up my miles.

      Delete
  2. I've been saying for a while now that I just need to relax with a good book. I always read blogs in my spare time instead though...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you feel. Blogs are fun to read, too! In order to "read" more books, I've been listening to a lot of them while I run.

      Delete
  3. Great job listening to your hip! I find I need to spend more time focusing on stretching and strengthening than I used to, and resting a niggle puts me back into that focus.
    The breakfast looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you on the towels. I've begun stashing them in the car and my gym bag for my post work out sogginess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on the humid running!! The year I lived in Alabama I think I was dehydrated by the time I finished every run - I didn't even carry water with me then!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't is crazy how much of a difference humidity makes? Good for you though Tina, great week of training, and getting it all in. Will pay off! Oh, and thanks for the new books to add to my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Water fountains on your run route are awesome :) I don't have any access on any of routes. Sometimes I will carry a bottle and drop a mile or so out so I can enjoy on the way back :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're having the humid runs now too. I haven't done any speed work since it all set in, I'm just happy to finish the mileage :) French toast is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Getting pretty warm up here these days as well, but after the winter we had I'm not going to complain! French toast looks super yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That french toast looks delicious! Your book on hold sounds like it will be a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum just looking at the fruit on the toast makes me hungry:)
    Hope your hip flexor gets better! I tore mine a few years ago and it took about a month to heal, but I found those heat patches that you can buy were the best thing for it. Although I don't recommend placing them straight on the skin,(I made that mistake, LOL) I still will use them and stick on on spandex shorts, right on the injury when I first start running to heat it up so its loose right from the beginning:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip for my hip flexor! I'm taking it easy and it is feeling better.

      Delete
  12. Your french toast looks delicious! I love blackberries and raspberries in the summertime :) I hope your hip flexor feels better!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good for you for listening to your hip. And yes, I am looking for summer ready! Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just got my bike fixed and am looking forward to a 4th of July ride on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like so much fun! I'll probably go for a bike ride, too.

      Delete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...