Blueberry French Toast Sandwich
It's National Blueberry Month! After yesterday's run, I made myself a breakfast that seemed more special than usual. The reason for that may have been the dusting of powdered sugar or the plate decorated with berries. The surprising part about this recipe was that it didn't take too much longer to make than any of my usual breakfasts.
Blueberry French Toast Sandwich Recipe
Makes 1 sandwich.
- Microwave 1/2 cup blueberries, 1 teaspoon corn starch, 1 teaspoon water and a sprinkle of sugar in a bowl for 30 seconds.
- In another bowl, mix an egg and 1 tablespoon milk. (I scrambled the leftover egg and milk and ate it on the side.)
- Prepare sandwich by cutting two slices of bread in half (wheat or white, I used each kind and liked both).
- Spoon the fruit filling onto two bread halves and top with half slice of bread.
- Melt a small amount of butter in a pan.
- Place sandwiches in egg mixture and then into greased pan until brown on one side. Flip sandwiches over until brown on each side.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
My Blueberry French Toast Sandwich and the leftover egg on the side came to 285 calories, 53 grams of carbohydrates and 13 grams of protein. For some facts about healthy blueberries, visit Fooducate.
For a variation on this one, you could try the Apple Pie Sandwich (Taste of Home). That recipe was the inspiration for mine. I wouldn't wait until National Apple Month to try it, though, because that's not until October!