Blueberry French Toast Sandwich



It's National Blueberry Month! After yesterday's run, I made myself a breakfast that seemed more special than usual. The reason for that may have been the dusting of powdered sugar or the plate decorated with berries. The surprising part about this recipe was that it didn't take too much longer to make than any of my usual breakfasts.

Blueberry French Toast Sandwich Recipe

Makes 1 sandwich.

  1. Microwave 1/2 cup blueberries, 1 teaspoon corn starch, 1 teaspoon water and a sprinkle of sugar in a bowl for 30 seconds.
  2. In another bowl, mix an egg and 1 tablespoon milk. (I scrambled the leftover egg and milk and ate it on the side.)
  3. Prepare sandwich by cutting two slices of bread in half (wheat or white, I used each kind and liked both). 
  4. Spoon the fruit filling onto two bread halves and top with half slice of bread.
  5. Melt a small amount of butter in a pan.
  6. Place sandwiches in egg mixture and then into greased pan until brown on one side. Flip sandwiches over until brown on each side.
  7. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

My Blueberry French Toast Sandwich and the leftover egg on the side came to 285 calories, 53 grams of carbohydrates and 13 grams of protein. For some facts about healthy blueberries, visit Fooducate

For a variation on this one, you could try the Apple Pie Sandwich (Taste of Home). That recipe was the inspiration for mine. I wouldn't wait until National Apple Month to try it, though, because that's not until October!

Comments

  1. This looks fabulous! I often make a grilled PBJ similar to this! What is the purpose of the corn starch? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It thickens the blueberry sauce. I haven't tried this yet, but I think you could leave it and the water out and that although it would be drier, that it would still be good. I want to try your PBJ version!

      Delete
  2. You can make me that for breakfast any time! Yum! Happy national blueberry month! I will try to honor them by getting lots in :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUMMY!!! This recipe looks so easy and delicious, and I absolutely love blueberries! Such a summertime classic. I actually live about 90 minutes away from South Haven, Michigan, which is the "Blueberry Capital of the World." Every summer they host a blueberry festival with a Blueberry 5K race and everything! What a great way to celebrate. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I googled that race and saw that it's part of the Michigan Fruit Belt Series of races that highlights different fruits. What a fun idea for a summer race theme!

      Delete
  4. This looks absolutely delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love French toast, what a fun spin on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Campbell wanted a peanut butter and jelly French toast sandwich yesterday, which actually didn't look too bad. I think I'd prefer ONLY fruit though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had me at your title!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! This looks amazing. Blueberries are my favorite. The season is way too short.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OHH YUM! This is the perfect summer berry breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh that sounds so good! I had no idea it was National Blueberry Month. Lucky we have some blueberries in the fridge right now. Plus my running buddy was supposed to go blueberry picking with her sister today, and I think I am going to trade her eggs for blueberries tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That really sounds delicious ... I love french toast! Much more than pancakes :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt