Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Caramelized Bananas in Muffins


I found a new recipe that's really good: Caramelized Banana Oat Muffins (Pinch of Yum). Caramelizing bananas make these banana muffins taste better than usual because it brings out the sweetness of the bananas.

To Caramelize Bananas 

  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
  2. Slice bananas. 
  3. Put sliced bananas on a foil covered cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick spray and place in oven.
  4. Turn bananas over a couple of times while cooking. 
  5. When they are brown on both sides (maybe 20 minutes), remove from oven. 

Recipe Tips

I followed the Pinch of Yum recipe except for the section on caramelizing the bananas. I had to bake my bananas longer and hotter than the recipe suggested. Maybe my bananas were more ripe than they should have been and that might make a difference. The third time I made these I took them out before they were brown, but they were still good. Because some liquid was on the pan after baking a few minutes, I used a paper towel to dab it up.

More Ways to Use Caramelized Bananas

I've used caramelized bananas in other foods since finding this recipe, but because they are brown they look best in baked goods! I've put them on nut butter sandwiches, on top of yogurt, in a smoothie and I've topped my caramelized banana oat muffins with them like you would use butter on a muffin.

I've also seen recipes for roasting bananas with the peels on. I want to try that, too. Have you caramelized or roasted bananas and, if so, how did you use the bananas?

12 comments:

  1. Reminds me of bananas foster dessert...so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never eaten bananas foster and I had to look that up. I found a recipe for it where you cook the bananas in a pan. I had forgotten that I've done that before (cooked in a little butter or coconut oil) and that's a good way to cook bananas, too.

      Delete
  2. You had me at caramelized bananas...do you really need to put them into anything or is it okay to just eat a bowl full? ;) I'll have to try baking with them! I like to do overnight oats with bananas and I'm wondering if using caramelized bananas would work with that...something to try. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They'd by great in overnight oats! I could eat a bowl of them by themselves, too! Maybe even sprinkle cinnamon on top.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I hope you like them! They taste best when fresh - you can really taste the bananas the first couple of days after they're made.

      Delete
  4. Great recipe! I was thinking that you had to put sugar on them. I am a huge bananas foster fan so I would probably love these muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy yum this sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure why I've never heard of caramelizing bananas before, but that sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...