Thursday, July 10, 2014

My Pepper Spray Test


Runners, Don't Do This!
During one of this week's runs, I tested out some new pepper spray to see how far it sprayed and how hard I needed to push the spray tab down. I noticed a drip on the can after that, but I hoped it was sweat.

After my wrist and my face where I must have wiped away my sweat started burning, I knew that I had pepper spray on my skin. Not good! You'd think that I'd know to be more careful because I've gotten pepper spray on myself once before when I was being chased by a dog.

I rinsed off at the water fountain and ran home to wash off with soap. I live beside the park so I didn't have far to go. Pretty soon, there was more burning in more places. Next time, I'll test it out at home and wear gloves!

Friday: 5.5 Mile Evening Run, Not as Humid
I ran in the evening for a change today. That made for a drier, but hotter, run. It was a nice break from the humidity.

Saturday: Arms and a Walk
In the morning, I worked out with the Upper Body with Dumbbells Video (C Tolle Run). In the evening, I went for a 45 minute walk with my husband and our Weimaraner.

Sunday: Abs & 5 Mile Run
I focused on my abs with the Uber Exercise Lower Abs Trifecta

Monday: 5.1 Mile Run/My Pepper Spray Day! 

Tuesday: 5 Mile Run (3 middle miles "fast") & Strength Training

I did the Medicine Ball Ab Attack & Hip Flexor Move from 3 Trail Running Exercises Post. Thanks to Raina for tweeting about the trail running exercise post.

Wednesday: 4.4 Mile Run & Strength Training
Runner specific exercises including: Strength Training Without the Gym (Runner's World video).

Thursday: 5 Mile Run & Strength Training
I wanted to do arm exercises today and Google Now brought up Arm Strengthening (Tina Muir) so I did that workout. Perfect timing!

Totals
This week I ran 30 miles and did 5 strength training sessions. My hip flexor, which had been bothering me, felt much better. I ran less and didn't bike at all this week so that it could heal. On the other hand, I did more strength training than usual. I hope it will make me a stronger runner.

I hope that each one of you have a safe and happy week! 

24 comments:

  1. Sorry about the pepper spray incident. Looks like you had a great week. I recently bought a medicine ball as well and have been experimenting with it. I like it better than weights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of the time, I use my med ball for Russian Twists and Woodchops. It's handy for workouts!

      Delete
  2. I'm a pepper spray girl and test it once in awhile to make sure it's still working, etc. and have done a similar feaux pax!

    Been a bit out of touch lately....hope you're doing well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're smart to test out your pepper spray. I read you should do that about every 6 months. I hardly ever tested my old ones.

      Delete
  3. Great week! I should give my pepper spray a test! Sorry you got it on you :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only should we test them but we need to replace them, too. I noticed that my new one has a "Use By Date" on it. I added that onto my Google calendar so I'll remember to replace it.

      Delete
  4. Wow - you had a great week of training - such a great mix of running and strength work!!
    Hope you recovered from the pepper spray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed some ultra runners have mentioned online that they do a lot of strength work so I stepped it up this week. I haven't done exactly 48 (my age) of anything lately, though, like you!

      Delete
  5. Ouch about the pepper spray! I had no idea it was that hard on your skin--thanks for that warning!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought to Google what to do if it gets on my skin until a few minutes ago. First, I rubbed water on it. then I rubbed soap and water on it, but you shouldn't rub it. Oops!

      Delete
  6. Good call testing out the pepper spray. I've never thought to give mine a test run. Great job other than the burning pepper incident.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha! I don't often test my pepper sprays because I'm afraid of using them up, but I read on the paperwork with my new spray that there are about 10 sprays in it so I have enough to test it out.

      Delete
  7. I didn't even know pepper spray could affect your skin alone. Yikes! I'll have to be careful with that stuff lol Hope you are healing alright!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the advice I read today in case you get pepper spray on your skin: don't rub it. Try milk or Dawn dish soap on it.

      Delete
  8. Always good to know the pepper spray works, but sounds painful! Great week otherwise, yay for your hip flexor feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few weeks ago, I had a poison ivy rash, then this pepper spray. Now I just have to not get sunburned! Since I never see any shade in your blog photos, you probably have to be careful about that, too.

      Delete
  9. I have to tell ya, I totally feel your pain! Once I was out on a run, and I keep my pepper spray/tear gas combo in my sports bra between the girls:) and I had an itch and didn't even think where I was scratching and I apparently pushed down the spray (I guess I had moved the safety switch off when I had put it in the bra) It went off for a second. At first it was okay, and then the burning started. I never ran home so fast (luckly I wasn't too far:) On the plus side I am glad it happened, now I know that it takes a while for the burning to start, so if I ever spray it on an attacker I will know it isn't immediate:)
    Sorry about your hip flexor, I am dealing with a torn one myself, it's not too bad this time. But 2 years ago I tore it badly and know how much time and pain they can be to heal! Good luck with your PT to get it healed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made a good point about the pepper spray taking time to cause pain. I read that if you spray someone in the eyes that they'll feel that immediately, though. I also read that you shouldn't rub the burning spot (like I did) because that will make it worse!

      Delete
  10. Oh my! Sorry you had that pepper spray experience. I don't run with it myself, but I know I should. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no! The pepper spray incident doesn't sound good.
    Looks like a good week of workouts though!
    I have bookmarked your blog, so I will be back :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yikes! I'm glad you didn't get it in your eyes. I've never actually needed to use my pepper spray, but I have taken the cap off before as a loose dog approached. That was enough to make my nose start running, so apparently mine leaks a bit, too. I've sprayed it before (not while running) just to see and mine sprays the same way those minty breath sprays work (only analogy I could think of right now).

    ReplyDelete
  13. What does pepper spray do to the skin? I have never seen pepper spray used before, but I hear it’s nasty stuff! Are you planning to carry it with you on all of your runs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I got it on my skin, it burned and a pink rash developed on it. When I run alone, I bring it with me, just in case.

      Delete
  14. Ouch about the pepper spray, but the good news: You know it still works!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...