Monday, August 18, 2014

3 Products that Prevent Pain for Runners


Running is a lot of fun, but it can be painful sometimes. To keep some of that pain away, I've been using:  

  1. Anti-chafing product. I ran out of Body-Glide so I bought Gold Bond Friction Defense. It seems to work as well as Body-Glide, it's less expensive and I found it at the grocery store, which made it easy to buy. This week, I forgot to use it on my thigh where my phone was in my pocket and rubbed me raw. Ouch!
  2. Sunscreen. Even though I wear a hat or a visor, I wear sunscreen on my face. Lately, I've been using Banana Boat Sport Performance 30. It comes in a small tube that makes it easy to take when I travel to races. Plus, it's easy to buy locally.
  3. Anti-poison Ivy Spray. After finding out that I'm very allergic to poison ivy on one of my blackberry picking treks in the woods, I started using Ivy X on my lower legs when I run though the woods. I don't know if it really works, but I hope it will spare me from having to get a shot and taking medicine again. 
What do you like to use to keep the pain away?


Weekly Summary (August 18-24)
  • Monday - 5 mile run; core/arms 
  • Tuesday - 11 mile run with "fast" finish
  • Wednesday - 35 min. ride; planks, dead-lift, wall-sit, etc. 
  • Thursday - 7 mile run (2 x 15 minute hard run w/3 min. recovery)
  • Friday - 3 mile run; core/arms 
  • Saturday - 6 mile run (15 x 1 minute hard run w/1 min. recovery)
  • Sunday - Rest
Total Running: 32 miles (That's up 2 miles from last week.)

17 comments:

  1. I should get that poison ivy spray for my husband, he is so allergic to it also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too bad. I bought mine from Amazon and I'm pretty sure that the price went from $8 to $12 since I bought it.

      Delete
  2. Great products, and so true! For some reason my sports bras have been chafing me the past few days....thanks for reminding me to use some anti chaf before I go do this 20 miler! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the good things about reading running blogs - finding running tip reminders. Last week. I was reminded to use my foam roller and I've used it everyday since then!

      Delete
  3. I've always used Vaseline to prevent chaffing, because I don't have to make a special trip to a running specialty store and it's cheaper. The only thing I don't like is that after awhile it leaves a bit of a grease residue on my clothes. Does the Gold Bond leave any kind of residue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might like Gold Bond. It's like Body-glide and I haven't had it leave anything on my clothes.

      Delete
  4. Never heard of the anti poison ivy spray! Let me know if that works. I should have had some of that last year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should definitely start buying the Gold Bond vs Body Glide for those cost savings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use Body Glide and and I always wear sunscreen on my face even though I probably sweat it all of in the first hour of my runs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen that anti chafing cream. If I saw it I would give it a whirl. My new tri outfit chafes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, I've never used any anti chafing stuff - I guess I'm fortunate that even with long runs I haven't ever had a problem with chafing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm super lucky not to have any chafing issues. I heard it is very painful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh i've not tried that brand of anti-chaffe, but heck yes that is one of the keys to any good run...ouch when i forget!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice training Tina. Great tips on the product. I try to remember sunscreen most of the time but sometimes I forget or the weather changes on me when I didn't have it on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Solid week, Tina! I've never tried the Gold Bond anti-chafe stuff. I always forget to put on Body Glide and then regret it as soon as I step into the shower!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had never heard of the poison ivy stuff but it sounds interesting. Great for trail running!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My go-to running pain relievers are body-glide and Aleve. Aleve works miracles for me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting and for keeping it family friendly!