Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Elite Runners & Oatmeal Cookies

Cookie Dough!
Joan Benoit Samuelson, now age 57, won the first women's Olympic Marathon 30 years ago this month. When I was running in the Maine Marathon, I was surprised to see Joan fly by me while she was running the half marathon. You might like to read Joan Benoit Samuelson's running tips to see why she doesn't run with music. I run with an audiobook, music and silence, too. A malfunctioning music player during a marathon taught me to be sure that I could run in silence!

Oatmeal cookies are one of my favorite cookies so when I came across Joan's favorite oatmeal cookie recipe at the end of an interview, I made them. Made with whole wheat flour, they're dense and as Joan said, they're similar to an energy bar. I liked the raisins, chocolate chips and nuts in them. I only made a small batch, but at least I was able to save one to eat with a smoothie after yesterday's 11 mile run.

Have you had the opportunity to see any elite runners? I saw a number of them here in Houston and blogged about it (US Half Marathon Olympic Trials) back in 2011. (Here are the results of the trials.) I saw Ryan Hall who finished 2nd in 1:02. Here's Ryan Hall's pancake recipe with suggestions like adding molasses for iron. I often add it to oatmeal.

I also saw Jen Rhines who finished first in 1:11. I read Jen Rhines Shares Her Running Secrets where she encourages runners to run strides at the end of easy runs and to do core work even if it's only for five minutes a day. Speaking of that, it's time for me to do some core work now!

14 comments:

  1. I've never met any elite runners and honestly if I did I probably wouldn't even know it. Lacey on the other hand has met many elite runners since she's done some bigger races ( like Boston nd Big sur). Actually, i've met Jeff Galloway and Bart Yasso. Does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wanted to see the elite runners race by--I can't fathom how fast they race. Joan Benoit Samuelson is who got me really into running--I remember watching the Olympic marathon and thinking I wanted to do that!
    I did a race once where I bragged that I beat her husband (in my mind he had to have been fast then by proxy)...I then have to add that I passed him when he was stopping to pick up a tossed sippy cup which came from the stroller he was pushing...details, details...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your sippy cup story - so funny!

      Delete
  3. I love oatmeal cookies. I just made some last week!

    Growing up in Maine just a town over from Joan, I've seen her out running before. She is so fast. I got to meet Meb this summer and it was really exciting. He is so nice and rather funny. I've run into a few elites at the Houston marathon when I use to live there and there are always quite a few at the Peachtree Road Race each summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I am SO making those cookies. My favorite cookie is the oatmeal with raisin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cool that you have seen several elite runners. I don't think I ever have in person - maybe one day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh has it been 30 years already? Joan is such a class act. I've never met her but I have met Ryan Hall and his wife, Meb and Desi Davila.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love oatmeal cookies, especially with peanut butter chips!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness that cookie dough. Give me a spoon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Right before I finished the Little Rock Half marathon, I heard police cars and tons of people cheering, I realized the marathon winner finished at the same time as I finished the half. It was awesome to be "part" of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun! That would make finishing the race even more exciting!

      Delete
  10. I love oatmeal raisin cookies! Although I prefer mine without any chocolate or nuts in them. Before the Blue Ridge Half last year I was fortunate enough to get to meet Bill Rodgers, Frank Shorter, and Bart Yasso!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joan is amazing! She is a bit of a celebrity around here especially. There's a statue of her at the Bix 7, a race in our area that she has won several times.

    As for running celebrities, I have raced with quite a few in the Bix race that I just mentioned, but the only ones I actually recognized out on the course (it's an out & back) were Desi Davila & Meb K. Joan was there and also Bill Rodgers but I don't know them well enough by sight.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those cookies look amazing! I must try that recipe - I love oatmeal cookies, too :)

    Over the weekend, I met Lauren Fleshman at a running camp. Such a sweet, genuine woman with loads of great running advice.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting and for keeping it family friendly!