Monday, September 1, 2014

7 Tips from The New Rules of Marathon and Half Marathon Nutrition Book



I just finished reading The New Rules of Marathon and Half Marathon Nutrition by Matt Fitzgerald. Here are just a few of the tips and suggestions that I found in the book.

7 Tips from The New Rules of Marathon and Half Marathon Nutrition
  • A high carbohydrate diet is good for runners. If averaging 1 hour of training a day, eat about 5 grams of carbs per kilogram of body weight. 
  • Do training runs with and without carbohydrates and always on runs longer than 2 hours.
  • Choose gels with more than one type of carbohydrate (fructose, glucose, etc.) for quickest absorption rate.
  • Eat or drink 10 grams of carbs per kilogram of body weight the day before race day.
  • On race day, don't consume more than 6 mg. of caffeine per kilogram of body weight in total. 
  • Now that Matt is over 40 and because he wants to stay injury-free, he has been running every other day along with 5-6 riding sessions a week. He runs marathons off of this training with times comparable to those he ran 10 years ago.
  • Two twenty minute strength training sessions a week is a good idea.

You'll also find simple tips on tracking what you eat, half and full marathon race training plans using heart rate zones and simple recipes like apple maple pecan oatmeal (photo).

Have you tried any of the tips Matt suggests or would you consider trying them?

Thank you for your comments on my recent post about My 10 Year Running Anniversary! There are so many great reasons to run!

22 comments:

  1. Great tips! I have been experimenting with a few of these during this marathon segment. Especially the fueling one. I love Genucan and skratch for my drink, and I have tried all kinds of combinations for pre run fuel. Glad you enjoyed this book, thanks for sharing the tips :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing what you like to drink! I just checked a couple of the gels that I often use during races, Powerbar, GU and Hammer and saw that they all include two types of carbs, which is good for faster absorption.

      Delete
  2. Those are good tips! When I did a half, I never ate, and it worked out okay, but maybe I would have performed better if I had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment reminded me that although he suggests 30 g of carbohydrates per hour for half marathons and up, he writes that a few runners may only want to drink water or water and a mouth swish of a sports drink.

      Delete
  3. I had major problems related to fueling for my first HM last year, so these tips are good to know--especially the day before race guideline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fueling can be really hard to figure out! Taking in 10 grams of carbs per kilogram of body weight the day before race day will be hard, but I think I'll give that a try.

      Delete
  4. There's so much more to running than just putting on a pair of running shoes! This book sounds like it has a lot of great tips in it. I'll have to add it to my wish list of running books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like another great book to read! Thank you for the suggestion - look forward to the recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing these tips! Nutrition can be so tricky and confusing a lot of the time. I need it dumbed down to my level :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, you probably know that I pretty much suck at nutrition while running - mostly I just don't do anything which works up to about 25-30 miles and then starts to be a problem.
    I'm a huge believer in carbs and plenty of them though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tips! I'm over 50--and I'm training for this marathon a lot differently than I would have in the past, with lower mileage, more intervals, more strength training. I've been working with a CrossFit coach, and while I was initially skeptical, I've been really please with my results. I'm not going Paleo, tho... :P

    ~Wendy at Taking the Long Way Home

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tips for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tips...although I couldn't handle running everyday, 3-4 times a week is my sweet spot since I love to cross train.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tips! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I should add that book to my reading list! THanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are great tips, Tina! It's so funny; I own this book and you told me some things I didn't know - ha! I haven't read it in its entirety; keep picking it up, reading a section, and then putting it back down, but I'm using one of the training plans for my first full marathon. Great post; thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Matt Fitzgerald's books and this one has a lot of great info and tips! Although .. I'm not too sure about the fat loading advice. I'm a little afraid to try that one before a big marathon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be more likely to try the carb loading suggestion! Actually, I've done carb loading, but I don't think that I've gotten close to the amount he suggests.

      Delete
  15. Great tips. I am working on adding in more strength work.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing these - I want to read this book! I am thankful for point #1, because I naturally seem to like a high carb diet... good thing I run :) I also like his approach of running every other day mixed with cross training (riding) and strength.

    Looks like a great read!

    Amy @ http://www.livinglifetruth.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing these tips!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I appreciate the tips! I am a 48 yr old runner and I seem to be best at 4 days a week. I did a lot of shorter runs this summer and much more weight training and i do feel better..

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...