Monday, October 13, 2014

15 Mile Run + Stairs

Stairs Beside Park Path (Upper Center)
I added 5 minutes of stair climbing to the end of my long run this week. I wanted to get a little extra work out of my tired legs. Hopefully, that will make me a stronger runner.

Starting with only a few minutes of stairs was smart, I think. I wasn't sore after that day's workout and I'll increase the minutes next time.

I brought my dog with me when I ran up and down the stairs. So during my training she got some training in, too. Sit, Zoe, sit!

Last Week's Exercise 

  • Monday - 8 mile run (saw 2 coyotes, 1 deer)
  • Tuesday - strength-training:arms, 43 min. bike ride 
  • Wednesday - 15 mile run (fast-finish, time- 2:35, 10:21 ave. pace), 5 minutes on park stairs
  • Thursday - rest
  • Friday - 11 mile run (12:27 ave. pace, trails, saw 2 non-venomous snakes: a pretty lime-colored Rough Green & a TX Brown snake), strength-training: full body
  • Saturday - 50 min. ride, posture exercises 
  • Sunday - 10 mile run

That's 44 miles of running, 2 bike rides and 3 strength-training sessions and I feel good!

16 comments:

  1. What a beautiful view! I always have the idea of doing stairs for exercise, but then I never do it..lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean... I've thought about it before, but it wasn't until I wrote it on my schedule that I did it.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I like the idea of adding stairs to the end of a long run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! I think I'll try making it into a habit.

      Delete
  3. That's a great week and a lot of wildlife :) I can't imagine steps after a long run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since it was a good run, it wasn't too hard. It'll be interesting to see how that goes in the future.

      Delete
  4. 44 miles is a great week of running!!
    I occasionally try to do stair running - probably not nearly enough but I do end up with 10-30 trips up and down stairs on a normal day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a lot of stair climbing. That's great!

      Delete
  5. No wonder you feel good - what a great set of workouts! Your stair climbing location looks beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the park where I do most of my running. There's some park fitness equipment there, too. It's great!

      Delete
  6. Wow, stairs after a long run sounds brutal! Way to go - I'm sure that extra training will pay off during your next race :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic week! Good job!! Where do you run stairs? We only have 2 steps at our house :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are stairs at the park where I usually run. I live in a one story house so I'm glad there are some stairs nearby.

      Delete
  8. 15 miles + stairs, because 15 miles isn't enough ;-) I think it's a great idea and I bet it definitely will make you stronger! Pretty neat that you saw 2 coyotes on Monday. They seem slinkier, if you will, than foxes are. We don't see them often, but we frequently hear them singing in the mountains behind our house at night. It's eerie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha, yeah, 15 just wasn't enough that day! We hear coyotes at night, too. It was surprising to me when I first heard them because we don't live in the country. We do live by a park, though, so that's why we get to enjoy some wildlife.

      Delete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...