Post-race Depression & Your Race Recaps




Racing is exciting, but even though races are a lot of fun, there are times when you might experience some sadness when they're over. Here are my tips for staying happy after the race excitement is long gone.

5 Ways to Prevent Post-race Depression 
  1. Don't be too hard on yourself if you don't achieve your race goals. 
  2. Make plans for another race. Find a training plan like the ones in Brad Hudson's and Matt Fitzgerald's book Run Faster from the 5K to the Marathon: How to Be Your Own Best Coach. The book encourages you to come up with your own plans, too. That's what I like to do.
  3. Do something you haven't had time to do while training for the race like trying some new recipes
  4. Races can be hard on the body. Put your feet up and read some running blogs!
  5. Race vacations are my favorite way to get my mind off of a less than stellar race result.
Here's an article that brings up some good points about post-race depression. 


Your Race Recaps Found on the Web this Week

5K

Mommy Run Fast blogger, Laura, completed the Montclair Oktoberfest 5K (NJ) as her comeback race after having a baby. She finished in 21:58 and was the 3rd woman!

Run Mommy Run blogger, Lucie, ran the Run for the Grapes 5K (Canada) with her twin sister and they both earned PR's! She finished in 27:54 and her sister finished just behind her and I'm sure the fun sister competition made the race more fun.

Still a Runner blogger, Mary Lou, qualified for the 2015 National Senior Games, for ages 50 and up, by completing the Moving for Melanoma 5K race in 26:12 in the 65-69 age group!

10K

Dream Big Runner blogger, Christine, completed the Howlin' Coyote 10K trail race (VA) in 1:17 and is another mother who recently had a baby. The race director spoke with each finisher at the finish line - nice touch!

Kim Runs Miles with Smiles blogger completed the Perfect 10K Race (VA) in 1:11 and earned a PR! See her recap for photos and information about her friends who were also racing.

Half Marathon

Life to the Full blogger, Amy, completed her second half marathon at the Wild Hog Half Marathon (ND) in 1:36! She finished 6th female out of 331.

Other Distances

Fast Cory ran the Bear 100 Mile Race (UT) in 34:32! I don't know which part would be worse: the 22,500' elevation or the muddy trails.

Love & Zest blogger, Kristina, completed the Miracle Miles 15K (9.3 mi.) race (FL). Along with her recap, she posted a recipe for Coconut Quinoa Granola.

Congrats to all of this week's racers for crossing the finish line!

Comments

  1. I could not agree more about the racecation idea for post-race depression! Whenever I run a race I am always looking for which one I want to do next as well haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to all!

    I try to keep my race calendar pretty full (I am scheduled through February), so I can always keep moving forward to the next thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas for post-race depression which I never expect and always get. I like to get a massage and pedicure to help cheer me up! Thank you so much for including me in "your race recaps" - I am honored :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on your 10K PR! I hope your husband didn't mind that you made it to the finish line first that day!

      Delete
    2. Nope, he is one of my biggest supporters!

      Delete
  4. I love race vacations. I keep my calendar full so it motivates me to keep running.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I fall victim to post race depression after every marathon. Hopefully I can avoid this after Sunday. Great tips! Way to go runners!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually have something planned or going on so don't feel the depression set in. I also enjoy my rest after a big event. Great tips though and the recaps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been sad after the race, only before because I ask myself "what did I get myself in to". Haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. I heartily agree with planning another race. For years I've made a practice of always having another race scheduled. By the time I get home from a race, I'm already getting thinking about the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so right, after something you have been working toward for a long time there is a let down when it's over. Great article and tips ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Trying to plan my next race so I don't have to sink into depression!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the mention! I have one more scheduled race next weekend! Maybe I will have to look for a few more before winter sets in order to have something to look forward to and not slip into a post race slump!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Race Post-Partum - it's so true. Great hints - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. # 1 has been tough for me. Great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have the same Matt Fitzgerald book! I love the pace charts (am I thinking of the right book?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are suggestions on running pace for each run in the book, so maybe!

      Delete
  15. I've definitely been hit with post race self-criticism about a less than desired time. I now try hard to not get so caught up in the numbers that it ruins the whole event for me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for directing to other racers recaps--fun to see!
    My race isn't for 3 weeks, but I have started to think about other (albeit shorter, goals!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for mentioning my race!!! I'm famous now!!! :) Great points on post race depression, I usually go shopping as a reward and then sign up for a new race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha! Congrats on completing the race and more importantly, I'm glad that you had fun!

      Delete
  18. Wonderful tips. This is cool that you featured so many blogger recaps! It seems like every weekend there is someone racing these days. Tis the season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right! There are so many race recaps - I can't list them all!

      Delete
  19. Even after my fabulous marathon this fall, last week I did feel a little lost! The endorphins were gone and my legs felt sluggish. It's so good to remind ourselves that post-race depression is normal and expected, even after a great race. Thanks!

    ~Wendy at Taking the Long Way Home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all need a reminder every once in a while. Congrats on a great race!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt