Running on Sugar Cookies




It was time for a cookie test and to eat and run! That's what I did during my recent 13 and 10 mile runs.

Eat and Run

Only an hour before running my 13 miler (2 1/4 hour run), I ate a large roll topped with peanut butter and jam (325 calories and 50 carbs). I ate yogurt and cherries before my 10 miler (2 x 15 minutes of hard running with 1 minute rest).

Running so soon after eating has worked for me before shorter runs so I wanted to try it for longer runs after reading that ultrarunner Stephanie Howe thinks that you can train your body to eat close to race time. I'd like to avoid waking up early to eat 2-3 hours before races begin!

The Cookie Test

Instead of taking a gel for my runs, I took a large sugar cookie with me. For the 13 miler, I ate a cookie quarter at miles 5, 7, 9 and 11. For my 10 miler, I ate half of a cookie. I don't usually have sugar cookies in my pantry so it seemed like a good time to try this cookie test. Besides, they always have cookies at ultras and I'm training for a 50K!

Test Results

I didn't have any stomach troubles so I'll continue my eat-and-run experimenting before my November 22 race. That means more sleep for me!

I'm not planning on running the Soler's Sports Texas Trails 50K Endurance Run only on cookies, but it was a fun experiment!

Have you done any testing with food that is not usually considered running fuel during your run?

Comments

  1. oh my, sugar cookies are my weakness! And those look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're from La Bakery de Walmart!!!

      Delete
  2. I never eat during a race, but I have nerver ran longer than 10 km. however, eating cookies during a run makes for an interesting experiment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I eat before 10K races, or shorter ones, but not during them either, like you!

      Delete
  3. I know that if I were going to keep trying ultras I would have to learn to eat - I think I would do your method of test and run!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've also heard of people running ultras on bacon. Might try that someday!

      Delete
  4. Running with sugar cookies? Scrap the gels, I am totally doing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, someone needs to make sugar cookie flavored gel!

      Delete
  5. I have been know to eat cake right before a run. It makes for a good run in my opinion. Did the cookies crumble much while you were running? How did you pack them with you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put the cookie quarters in a baggy in my spi belt. Worked fine!

      Delete
  6. I agree with Jessica :) Sugar cookies instead of gels lol That's awesome you can run and not have your tummy feel disrupted. The 50K sounds awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. sugar cookies. yummy.
    I had heard gummy bears, but not cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like an experiment I could embrace!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Trying to find just the right things to eat for those long races is tough. I would love to get by on nothing but that won't work. I opt for bland, bland, and MORE bland plus 1 banana. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those cookies look yummy :) One time I forgot to bring fuel with me for a long run, so I stopped at the local pharmacy in town. It's a legit pharmacy that only sells medicines and supplements, so my only options for fuel were the candy selection at the register. I ended up running 10 miles on a bag of mixed berry Skittles. It worked out well, except for the Skittles freezing due to the cold weather!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

50 Mile Race Coming Up