Texas Trails Endurance 50K Race Report

Crossing the 50K Finish Line

I finished the 50K!

Although the 50K trail race that I ran today is held an hour from my home, my husband and I stayed at the park in our RV the night before the race. This was a race first. It was great to be so close to the race course and packet pick-up.

There were so many trail ribbons that it was easy to stay on the course and not get lost!

I'm glad that the trail was crowded at first because it helped me to take it easy for the first couple of miles. After a few miles, I started passing people. Since I didn't have a BQ to work towards like I do in a marathon, this was a fun way to push myself.

I nearly tripped about a dozen times on a root, but I never fell.


Rooty Trails!

Race: Texas Trails Endurance Run put on by Soler's Sports

Date: November 22, 2014

Race location: Huntsville State Park, about 1 1/2 hour's drive north of Houston, Texas

Course: Mostly shaded with lots of tree roots on the trails that make it easy to fall. There are a few boardwalks, too. I didn't see any alligators, but they're there.

Boardwalk at the Park


Weather/Clothes: 60-70 degrees. I wore the Skirt Sports Adventure Girl Skirt with 5 pockets and a short-sleeved shirt. I was glad that I wore my Saucony Ride 6 shoes because the cushioning feels good on a long run even though they're not "trail shoes". After the race, my toes were tender from hitting the front of my shoes on the downhills, though.

14 GU Gels and the Course Map
Fuel Pre-run: pancakes topped with peanut butter and honey 3 hours before the race start

Fuel & Drink During the Race: I used my Camelbak hydration pack for water, which I think put a bruise on my lower back that I noticed after the race. I took 14 GU gels and liked them all! I ate 12 of them - one every 30 minutes until I thought I ran out of them. I also had a handful of M&M's and a drink of Coke. I found the two "lost" gels in my skirt pocket after the race, but it didn't matter. I felt strong through most of the race and never had a side ache.

Post-marathon Food: At the finish line, I ate pizza, U Can drink (1st time to try, very mild taste), M&M's and cookies because I didn't eat enough sugar already! Then we went to Lupe Tortilla Mexican restaurant for second lunch/early dinner.

Results(Link): 5:44:18 finish time, 2nd out of 10 in my 40 and up age group, 4th overall female out of 18, 13th overall position out of 48 finishers; Splits: 1st loop of 10K: 1:12, 1st 20K loop: 2:13, 2nd 20K loop: 2:19

Thanks to all of you for all of the race encouragement sent my way, to the volunteers who were all so helpful and the race director, Roger Soler (in top photo), for a well-run race! 

Comments

  1. Alligators? No thank you! I would find it hard to focus, but maybe it would be a welcome distraction in a long race.

    That's a lot of fuel!!

    Congrats on your fantastic 50k time, Tina!
    That should more than make up for the last one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Raina! I beat my last 50K time (my 1st one) by 3 hours and 1 minute, but I only ran 50K this time! ; )

      Delete
  2. Wow, that's a great finish time! So glad your race went well - it gives me confidence for my upcoming first 50k! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I did before my race - had a lot of fun reading race reports! Looking forward to reading yours next!

      Delete
  3. Awesome job, Tina! It looks like a beautiful course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it was Colorado! But I'm surprised at the beauty I've found here in Texas!

      Delete
  4. Many congrats!!! That is a great time and 2nd in your age div ... wow! I'm so glad this came together for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know I was 2nd until they put up the results online the next day - that was fun news!

      Delete
  5. You killed it, Tina! Congratulations on a great race and impressive finishing time. I wish I would have knew about some of these trails when I lived in Houston! Enjoy your day and the well deserved rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wish they were even closer than an hour away, but I'll be back in February for another race and maybe sooner for training runs.

      Delete
  6. That is amazing. Trail races slow me way down because I am always so scared of tripping on those roots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time that I nearly fell on a root was a little celebration that I did not fall!

      Delete
  7. Woohoo congrats!!! I'm so happy to read this recap and hear that you not only finished, but had a great race!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It feels good to know that I never wanted to quit, but I did tell myself that as soon as I finished I would lay down in the grass. I didn't need to, but it always helps to tell myself that anyway!

      Delete
  8. You did great! Congrats! And alligators. It would make me run faster or not even start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha, yeah, if I'd seen a gator! But a little bit of thunder did make me run faster, though. The predicted storms never happened after all making me a happy runner!

      Delete
  9. Great job on your run! That is a lot of GUs! Good thing you liked them all, looks like a beautiful place to get to run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's see... I had Salted Caramel, Root Beer, Chocolate Peanut Butter and my favorite of the GU flavors that I had was Strawberry Banana.

      Delete
  10. That is an awesome time for a trail 50k! Well done! Looks like a great event. I love camping at races. Most of our trail ultras have some camping option and for me it adds to the experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was so very nice to have my own little kitchen, my pillow (!), to leave my RV 20 minutes before the race and have plenty of time to get to the start line.

      Delete
  11. Fantastic result, congratulations! Great for now falls too. Looks like a beautiful area to run. Nice work on the AG placement as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robin! I think I might like to try a 50 mile race like you have run, but towards the end of this 50K, I wasn't so sure! Now that I'm rested... Maybe someday!

      Delete
    2. You can do it for sure. I feel you are only ever prepared on any given day, for the distance you are there to do. So It's normal that you'd question being able to go further at the end of that race. I say that every time I finish a half...how in heck do I ever do a full...that's the mental side of running I guess :)

      Delete
    3. I think you're right, Robin. Thanks for the encouragement to give a 50 miler a try!

      Delete
  12. Congrats Tina! And YAY for not getting lost. This looks like a great trail to run on (except for the roots, that would have got me). :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe that I didn't fall! I heard of one runner who put his arms up in a cheer after running 26 miles without falling and then he fell!

      Delete
  13. What a fantastic time!! Congrats on the AG place ;) You did a great job of managing your race! Tree roots are tough, I have very rooty trails here and it tends to slow me down, so I don't go sailing lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm surprised and very happy that I came in under 6 hours.

      Delete
  14. Congratulations Tina! Sounds like a great race experience. Way to rock the ultra distance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth! Now we can rest after our races (your triathlon - yay!) and enjoy some pumpkin pie!

      Delete
  15. Wow! Awesome race! That is A LOT OF GUs! I am impressed that you could stomach that many!! It looks like an awesome race. I bet those roots were tough as your legs became fatigued! Good job!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and you're right, towards the later miles, I had to keep reminding myself to lift my legs up. Lift, lift!

      Delete
  16. WooHoo - awesome job!!! Fantastic time!!
    Glad that the trail was well marked and you didn't have to run extra this race:)
    Hope you have a nice easy week on tap!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just some fun hiking and biking in the works!

      Delete
  17. What an awesome result Tina!
    Wow - I can't imagine consuming 12 GUs!
    Those tree roots just seem to pop up out of nowhere don't they? Glad they didn't catch you out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That is a lot of GU's! I've never eaten so many GU gels at once. I usually eat them every 45 minutes and not every 30 like I did for the race. It was a little risky, but I'd do the same thing next time - except for the part where I can't find two of them!

      Delete
  18. Congratulations! That is quite an accomplishment! I hope to add that distance to my race list in the near future. -L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, it'll be a fun experience!

      Delete
  19. Somehow I missed this, but congratulations! What a gear finish time, and awesome that you placed 2nd in your AG. And didn't trip over roots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I thought it would be fun, but it turned out even better than I imagined!

      Delete
  20. I missed this post too. It is awesome that you ran a 50K (wow!) AND placed in your age group. I love the boardwalks on the trails. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad they're there because they raise us up a little higher - where the gators might be in the water!

      Delete
  21. I'm so far behind on blog reading, but I wanted to say congrats to you! Great job on your race :) Glad you didn't see any gators, haha, and I'm glad you were able to stay on course thanks to all of the course markers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, staying on course was #1 on my mind - even higher than avoiding gators!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

50 Mile Race Coming Up