17 Miles on Cookies & Gel



Today I ran 17 miles. It was 40 degrees F (4*C) and I was feeling uncertain about what to wear so I checked Runner's World What to Wear. It's helpful if you could use some dressing tips. I didn't go with the suggested pants and jacket, but I was comfortable in capris, a long-sleeved overshirt, short-sleeved shirt, gloves and a running hat.

I had a great run and felt good the whole time! I changed up my fuel today and ate a gel, a sugar cookie and a sweet potato cookie (with added raisins and walnuts).

I started out easy and picked up the pace as I ran. Sometimes it surprises me when I'm able to do that and I'm glad it happens.

Exercise Links 

I recently increased the number of times I do strength training/core/balance exercises each week. I got in 6 sessions just like I hoped I would. Here are three favorites from the week.

Sallie McRae's Leg Lift Video - For balance! I ran a rooty 50K trail race in November and I didn't fall!

Better Balance in 4 Minutes Using a Band - A new balance exercise I found.

Arkansas Runner Mom's Core WO - 101 push-ups, 3x (15 leg drops, 15 regular and 15 reverse crunches), plank. (It's hard, but it's short!)

Recent Runs (Miles):

6 (3.5 miles hills), 5, 8 (3 miles close to MP), 0, 17 (today) = 36 total miles

Photo: Desert flowers from our Big Bend Nat'l Park, TX, vacation.

Comments

  1. I'm so lazy when it comes to strength or core exercises. You inspire me to do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Those videos inspired me to get it done!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great run! I love Sally McRae, if she suggests I do something you can bet I will try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has a new weekly video show she started last week! You can find the shows at her web page on the Video Tab.

      Delete
  3. Your increase in core work is awesome. I need more of that myself. How wonderful to go for a run that long and be able to pick up the pace as you go :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun way to finish a run!

      Delete
  4. That is pretty much what I would have worn for 40 degrees. It is such an in between temp, if it warms up much pants are too much and if it cools down or has a cold wind, shorts are not enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, with 40 I have to think about more like whether it's going to be sunny or overcast and windy or not.

      Delete
  5. Great dedication to core work. I'm impressed!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had to put it on my calendar at first in order to remember to do it, but I think it's becoming more of a habit now.

      Delete
  6. Great links! I truly want to add this to my routine and this is the best time to start fresh! Your running is going so well! I hope to blog more this year. :) Happiest of New Years to you Tina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good! I'd love to keep up with you on your blog more this year!

      Delete
  7. My friend uses that Runner's World calculator all the time--it's pretty cool! Thanks for the links! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my first time to check it out. I hope the links are helpful!

      Delete
  8. 40F is great running weather! What I wear depends a lot on how hard I have to run. I might get away with shorts on that, but will wear a long sleeve top over a short sleeve top and a hat. Maybe gloves too. If I wear tights, the long sleeve top would come off. I don't own capris!
    Nice running to finish off the year, Tina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah, the intensity of the run is important! That's one of the questions on the What to Wear page. If it's freezing and I'm not dressed warm enough, an easy run can turn into a hard run so that I'll warm up faster!

      Delete
  9. Nice running weather! Love the fuel switch up as well! Happy New Year Tina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cookies - thought I'd do something fun for Christmas-time! Happy new year to you, too!

      Delete
  10. Congrats on running 17 miles. I could never do that by myself, unless it was a race. Never thought of having cookies as fule. Maybe I should try that. Sounds like it works for you. -L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've run with cookies before. They haven't failed me yet!

      Delete
  11. Good run! I still need to try that whole running with cookies thing :) Wonder if the leftover cookies from Christmas will work? When I get stumped on what to wear for certain weather conditions, I like to use that Runner's World tool, too. I seldom wear exactly what it says, but it always gives me a good idea of what to put on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cookie running is fun every once in a while! I agree, it's a good tool for getting an idea of what to wear if it's been a long time since you've run in certain weather or if you're new to running.

      Delete
  12. I've been doing some of Sally McRae's balance stuff too! She's great.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

50 Mile Race Coming Up