Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Arizona: Catalina State Park

Riding in the Desert
After taking a vacation to the Grand Canyon for Thanksgiving, my husband and I drove our RV to California to visit family and then headed back home to Texas. On the way home, we stayed at Catalina State Park at the base of the Santa Catalina Mountains near Tucson, Arizona. Section B of the camp ground has large, clean restrooms with hot showers - important when there isn't reliable hot water in your RV - something we hope to fix soon!

The 50 Year Trail is Rocky

I ran a 50K trail race on Nov.22 so I took a short break from running, but I did ride my bike and hike only a few days after racing. We hiked the Romero Trail where we saw the ruins of an Indian village. Also, we biked on the 50 Year Trail where I fell a couple of times going downhill. At least I never landed in the cactus and I'd still be able to run in a few days like I had planned.

The Mountain View at the Catalina State Park Campground (Site B-12)

Traveling in our new RV was fun, but not without its little problems like a few cold showers and waiting for 5 hours to replace a broken tire valve. Those little things didn't make much of a difference in our fun adventure, though. Just look at those mountain views from our campsite where we roasted marshmallows after our bike ride!

Do you like the desert? I liked visiting the desert more than I thought I would - so much to see and weather that was nice enough for shorts in December.

What's your favorite camp food? New for me: I made a banana boat - a foil-wrapped banana topped with small marshmallows and chocolate chips and melted.

27 comments:

  1. I have never been to the desert. So pretty. We considered a road trip out west this spring but changed our minds. It is still on our list. The banana boat sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can even make a banana boat in your oven, but I hope you get the chance to try it out while camping someday!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on your 50k race - just read the race recap and you did fantastic!

    I've never been camping so don't have a favorite camp food. Unless you count smores!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, they count! And thanks, it was fun!

      Delete
  3. I love the desert so much...there are so many deserts/parts of the country I desperately want to make it to some day. Your pics make me jealous!

    I don't normally love hot dogs, but I love cooking them over an open fire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hot dogs - that was what we had for dinner that night!

      Delete
  4. I don't camp but sometimes we have campfires out at my parent's house. Just recently we made mountain pies. They weren't great but I guess it's just about the experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Learn something new every day! I had to google mountain pies!

      Delete
  5. I will always love hotdogs cooked over the campfire!!!
    And, wearing shorts in December would make me happy for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had nice weather on the entire trip and now that I'm home, it's nice here, too - I wore shorts yesterday and today on my bike ride and run. : )

      Delete
  6. I love hiking. Sounds like a fun trip! Having an RV sounds really awesome, even with the small issues.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a fun trip! Minus the cold showers, of course! :) I've never been to Arizona, but would love to go someday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you are really putting that RV to good use! My favorite camp food would be anything cooked over an open flame or BBQ

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't really been to the desert. I wouldn't mind going once but I think the mountains and ocean are more for me. I always like to bike and run new places. That sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a big desert fan! We have the Karoo here in SA that is very similar to parts of your country. Then there is the Namib desert in neighboring Namibia which is amazing. We also have the Kalahari desert in SA where I hope to run a stage race one day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That trail looks tough!! I love to hike and bike ride. It's great you got back into exercising and felt good after your race. I liked the desert when I visited, but I was nervous about the snakes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Catalina Park is about 15 minutes from where my dad lives! So we've hiked that area a bunch, but I didn't know you could camp there. Fun! We will be out there for New Year's and look forward to some more hiking in that area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That'll be fun! We liked it so much that we've talked about returning someday even though I usually like the idea of vacationing in new places.

      Delete
  13. I love banana boats too! They are so yummy when camping! Sounds like you had a great time! And I always love when there are great views from your campsite!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope to make it to the Grand Canyon at some point! And we have these grand schemes of camping with kids but it hasn't happened yet and my oldest is almost 5... !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had some great family camping trips, but don't worry - you can wait a few years so they'll remember your trips better when they're older!

      Delete
  15. Oh my I am so not a camper! It sounds like you had lots of fun though

    ReplyDelete
  16. What amazing pictures. Thank you for sharing! I have never been to Arizona or anywhere like it really - one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful! I love camping but the southwest is one area I haven't explored a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Arizona! I worked in New Mexico for a few months and was able to spend some time there. I love desert mountain running. And the trails are not crowded like they are here in Colorado.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fun trip! I've never been to Arizona (well maybe I have, because I went to the Grand Canyon as a kid), but my dad goes there often for work. Y'all are getting lots of use out of that RV. I love traveling in ours and going on camping trips.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...