Grand Canyon for Thanksgiving


The Grand Canyon had some great weather for Thanksgiving! My husband and I spent some time there last week enjoying time with family and seeing the canyon.


We rode our bikes on the hilly road that takes you to Hermit's Rest and along the canyon in the other direction towards Kaibab trail. I haven't run since the 50K race on November 22, about a week ago, but riding bikes has been a great way to get in some exercise.


We stayed in our RV at Trailer Village at the Grand Canyon. On Thanksgiving morning, I took an early morning walk and was surprised to see an elk standing on its hind legs to eat the leaves high up in a tree.


As for us, we ate at the century old El Tovar restaurant for lunch on the day before Thanksgiving, which I think is a great idea if you want the El Tovar experience complete with a Grand Canyon view for only about $11-15 a meal vs. $31 on Thanksgiving. You may need to ask for a window view like I did and arrive at just the right time, which we apparently did!

Driving the Jeep Out for Our Geode Hunt 
On Thanksgiving night, we boondocked near the Grand Canyon, which means we had no electric or water hook-ups. We were a little concerned that we were low on gas and that our heater would turn off so I kept waking up feeling very thankful on that Thanksgiving night for our heater. I hope you had a happy Thanksgiving like we did!


Comments

  1. As soon as I saw the title of the post I wondered if this was an RV trip! Glad you had a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to go there. Looks awesome! I'm surprised the elk did that. Smart elk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely Thanksgiving! I've never been to the Grand Canyon but it definitely looks so gorgeous! Glad you had a good holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks absolutely wonderful! I would flip out seeing that elk. I admit I thought it was a kangaroo before I read below...lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, these photos are amazing! It is a dream of mine to make it to the Grand Canyon someday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you had a wonderful time. Beautiful weather and scenery. I have never been to the Grand Canyon, but it's on my list! Elk are amazing creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! What a great way to spend Thanksgiving. Sounds like you are getting good use out of the new RV.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great trip. I have never seen an elk on it's hind legs like that, very cool. I've heard the El Tovar is a great place, I have it on my list of places I want to go. We still haven't done a Grand Canyon trip and we don't even live that far away!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Gorgeous views! What a great Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful. I have never been, but it is on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds like a lovely Thanksgiving! I will have to remember the name of that restaurant. We're hoping to do a Grand Canyon trip in the next couple of years.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great pics. The one of the elk is so cool! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like an amazing way to spend Thanksgiving! I've never seen an elk do that... so cool that you were able to snap a picture!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great way to spend Thanksgiving! The picture of the elk is amazing. I loved all the Canyon pics- really beautiful. Riding bikes are the best next to running :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a great picture of y'all at the Canyon! What a fun trip for Thanksgiving. How neat that you saw an elk eating like that. They recently put elk in Virginia, but I haven't ever seen one eat like that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt