Monday, January 5, 2015

18 Mile Run: Mostly a Great One!


I ran 18 miles! I ran in a new place close to home on an asphalt trail. There were lots of trees, a couple of lakes and creeks and very few people. A couple of people said something encouraging to me as I ran by. Since I had already run 13 miles, I kind of wondered if I was imagining things!

The run took less than 3 hours and my average pace was 9:52/mile, which makes me happy. My last two miles were just under marathon pace for a 4 hour BQ. It's a big goal, but I hope to BQ at my 16th marathon in 8 weeks.

I started running when it was in the 30's (read how running in cold weather slows you down and what to eat before cold workouts), but the sun and my running gradually warmed me up and before the end of my run I had shed many layers and was down to a tank top, a short-sleeved shirt, my pants rolled up to just below my knees and a running hat.


Today's run was fueled by Honey Stinger energy gels: fruit smoothie (which tasted like strawberry to me), vanilla (honey and vanilla taste - good!) and strawberry kiwi (has caffeine), all of which contain tapioca syrup, honey and electrolytes. I had one at mile 5, 9 and 13.

I had a chocolate flavored Honey Stinger gel (caffeinated) last week. It tasted like chocolate cake frosting to me. I liked every flavor and would buy them again. I bought them for 99 cents each at Academy Sports, a sports store in Texas.

Only one unfortunate incident happened during my run. As I drove away from the park, my face started to burn and I realized that I must have gotten some pepper spray on my face like I did back in July. I hurried home. Fortunately, I must have only gotten a small amount on my face because my face felt much better after a little while. What a relief!

24 comments:

  1. Good luck on the BQ. It looks very pretty where you ran! I wish I had something like that close to my house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I've come pretty close to a BQ before so I'm hopeful!

      Delete
  2. Nice run and a great confidence booster I'm sure! Looks like a beautiful day for a run as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right - blue skies and sunshine!

      Delete
  3. Oh, no! Be careful with that pepper spray.

    Next time, I'll have to try the HS gels. I like the chews and the waffles, but the "gu" type fuel always leaves me kind of squicked out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a Honey Stinger waffle, too, and liked it!

      Delete
  4. I'm not a marathon runner, so perhaps it's why I don't know what BQ means? I've had one of those caffeinated stingers before, it definitely gave me a boost! I didn't mind the taste at all either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you run a marathon in a time set by the Boston Marathon according to your age, like 4 hours for me, you have a BQ (Boston Qualifying) time and then you get to run the Boston Marathon!

      Delete
  5. Yikes, close call on the pepper spray! I'm glad it wasn't more serious. Great long run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad, too! After the experience of getting pepper spray on myself when I tested it to see how it worked a while back, I was concerned!

      Delete
  6. I have gotten pepper spray on myself before (when I took my spray out thinking I was going to have to use it on a dog - luckily he backed off!). It is no bueno. Glad your training is going so well! I like those honey stinger gels, too, but I have to be in the mood for them. They're the thickest gel I've ever used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you didn't need the spray after all, but not good about getting it on yourself!

      I noticed that the gels were thick and that I had to do a lot of packet squeezing, but I thought that it was because it was cold outside!

      Delete
  7. Did you use the pepper spray? I have been trying to run new routes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't use the spray, but maybe I accidentally pressed the nozzle when I put it in my pocket after my run. Running somewhere new and seeing new places - always interesting!

      Delete
  8. Great job on your run! I think that BQ is definitely within striking distance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! With only 2 MP miles, I've got a lot of work to do in 8 weeks, but hopefully my training, a taper and running in good race conditions will do something for my speed!

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on your 18miles. I really like those honey stinger GUs. Goodluck in reaching your goal time in a few wks. -L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the Honey Stinger gels, too, and I'm glad I was able to find them at a store where I normally shop. That makes it easy!

      Delete
  10. Hope your training over the next couple months goes well Tina!
    Maybe I could run a sub-4 if I had someone chasing me the whole way with pepper spray...!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha! I saw your last half marathon results - you wouldn't need to be chased!

      Delete
  11. Good job on 18 miles! Sounds like you have your base and distance for BQ. It is also great that you seem to have the fueling down pat! What a nice trail to run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now if only I could pick up the speed, too! Staying hopeful about that, though!

      Delete
  12. I hope you get that BQ ... I can't think of another runner right now who I follow that is worthy ;) You put in a lot of solid work and I hope you get it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really nice of you to say! Thank you!

      Delete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...