All About Running Hills



When I come to a hill in a race, I think back to my hill work in training and wish I had done more so I've been doing more hills lately. Fortunately, there's a hilly dirt road right out my back door. I just wish that it was as long as the one I ran on when I was on vacation in Big Bend Nat'l Park (in photo)!

I don't usually do anything complicated. I warm up on flat terrain, run the middle section of my run on the hilly road and cool down on the flats. Sometimes I run up fast and then run down slowly and sometimes I run down fast, too, to prepare me for a downhill race.

Got Hills?

Variation on Hills (Competitor) - Sisyphus (the Greek King) Session

Hill Repeats (Competitor) - How to do hill repeats.

Hit the Hills (Competitor) - Sprints, repeats, rolling hills

Everything You Need To Know About Hill Training - Bounding up stairs two or three steps at a time if you live where it's flat works. Even 15 minutes of downhill running a month is helpful.

Ultrarunner Rob Krar's Hill Workout - Read how this runner does hills.
Stairs Will Wear You Out!

No Hills? 

I'm a Runner: Kayleen McCabe - The host of "Rescue Renovation" has a stair-running obsession. My stairs - see photo.

If There Are No Hills Where You Live - Running up and down a parking garage - been there, done that! 

2015 Goals

Last week I was sick and missed some of my training runs for the February 28 Woodlands Marathon (my goal: to qualify for the Boston Marathon- 4 hour finish). If possible, when making race plans, add in a week or two just in case something comes up*. Since I didn't miss a long run, it probably won't hurt that I missed a few runs. Today I got in a hill workout during my 5 mile run.

*For more on preparing for failure (in a good way): The Science of Setting Goals: How to Make New Year's Resolutions That Actually Work Out This Time.

How about you? How are your 2015 goals coming along? 

Comments

  1. Thanks for the links! I'll be running a hilly half this spring, so I've been running mainly hilly routes for my long runs and plan to do that all through my training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great idea to train on hills for your hilly half. Wishing you the best in training!

      Delete
  2. My 2015 goal is to run a 1:30 half marathon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a speedy goal! I'd love to run a 1:30 half marathon!

      Delete
  3. Even though I live in flat Illinois, there's no shortage of hills around here. There are just a bunch of short steep hills instead of huge ones. We almost always run a few hills because it's pretty impossible not to.

    No big goals for me in 2015. Right now I can't run at ALL so I guess my goal is to run again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rest up so you can get back to running ASAP!

      Delete
  4. I signed up for a 10 Km race on Feb 16, my longest race to date. I don't have hills or stairs in my training plan, but after reading this, perhaps that's what I will do for my workout tomorrow! Run up and down stairs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting to be preparing for your longest race! Running stairs - a good workout that tires me out quickly!

      Delete
  5. I'm just hoping to have a good year running - right now I don't have any race plans just hoping to run strong and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To run strong and healthy is a great goal for 2015!

      Delete
  6. Hills hurt but are SO helpful! I have a very hilly 16 mile race coming up, so have been seeking out the hills lately. Sunday, I ran back up any big hill that I ran down. Hill repeats build character :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing that you have a hilly race coming up - a great incentive to get in some hill work!

      Delete
  7. I have several routes mapped out in my neighborhood, which can be quite hilly. When I need to work on hills, I use the hilliest route. I also have a multi-level house and do stairs without even intending to. I should add more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you're getting in plenty of hill work going up and down your stairs at home and running the hilliest route. Good for you!

      Delete
  8. I hate missing workouts when I am training for a specific race. I sometimes add in a week but didn't this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh, oh! When that happens to me, I just have to not worry and hope for the best.

      Delete
  9. I do a lot of treadmill running in the winter. I sometimes do "hills" on the treadmill, but not as much as I should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one thing I miss about not having a treadmill anymore - pushing a button for a hill!

      Delete
  10. I can't agree enough on the importance of hill training. There have been several moments when it's really paid off during racing for me. Luckily we have plenty of hills in Atlanta to choose from!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish that I had lots of hills close to home, too. At least, except for bridges, local races are fairly flat!

      Delete
  11. Nice post! I definitely need to do more hill training! Especially for the NYC half this march.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. March will be here before you know it. Have fun training for the race!

      Delete
  12. Sorry to hear you were sick, but glad you're better! I feel like long runs are most important when you're training for a marathon, so it's good you were still able to do that. It's very hilly where I live, but I still often struggle on hills. I think it's often a mental issue. I need to work on pushing through :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really hopeful about being well enough to tackle this next week's long run! It's easier to push ourselves during a race. You just did a trail race and I know you pushed yourself on those hills!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt