Bacon For My Run & Later


Bacon During a Run & Bacon Gel 

After my 5 mile run on Monday, I realized that I wasn't fully recovered from my cough and sore throat so I've been taking it easy. Because I wasn't sure how far I'd run on yesterday's 8 mile come-back run, I brought along a snack - bacon! Sometimes they have bacon at ultra aid stations and I like to test food out on my training runs. I didn't have any problems eating it and, of course, it tasted good!

Did you know that there is a bacon-flavored energy gel? VFuel Maple Bacon is on my wish list!

Bacon Soup

Even though I was able to wear shorts yesterday on my run (try not to be too jealous!), there were some chilly nights so I made Bean and Bacon Soup (Taste and Tell). It tastes like Campbell's bean and bacon soup and since I used canned beans (Navy), it was quick to put together.

Bacon Salad

To go on the side of my bacon soup, I made a BLT Salad (Skinny Taste). It's made up of BLT ingredients, minus the bread, and topped with avocado. Visit the Skinny Taste blog until Monday for her Skinny Taste cookbook and kitchen scale giveaway!

Comments

  1. Bacon gel???
    I like bacon occasionally but not just plain. The BLT salad sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, bacon gel! Who knows what they'll think up next!

      Delete
  2. I was expecting bacon helped your cold! Then I when I get one I would have something to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet the maple bacon gel is good! Worth a try anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it was sold at local stores so I could try it!

      Delete
  4. Yum, bacon! The bacon salad looks great! I'll be interested to get your opinion on the bacon gel! I think I'll let you try that one first! I love bacon, but I can't see how that would taste good! I hope it's not simulated bacon flavor! That would be disappointing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I try it, I'll let you know!

      Delete
  5. For some reason the title of this post made me think of that song 'Beer For My Horses" haha. I have read a lot of ultra race reports (thanks to you!) and I somehow missed there being bacon at aid stations. And who knew there was actually a bacon-flavored energy gel? Do you think actual bacon gave you energy during your run?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how much the bacon helped since I only ate one piece on a short run, but it might be a good first try in case I ever want to try bacon in an ultra. You never know!

      Delete
  6. Oh gosh bacon gel! Have you tried it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only seen it sold online so far and I haven't had the chance to yet, but it's on my wish list!

      Delete
  7. Ha ha like Meagan, I thought that too, "beer for my horses"....too funny. Bacon is good! Never fueled with it but I bet it would be a good choice especially for the ultras!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The next bacon test would be eating more than one piece. Might be fun to try!

      Delete
  8. I like how you experiment with different fuels on your runs.
    I can't imagine a bacon gel lol My hubby is the biggest bacon fan ever, but I stick to a mostly vegetarian diet, I am not sure what bacon flavor would do to me lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only problem with the bacon for me would be that I need to wash it all down with liquids. That's incentive to drink more, though, so that's a good thing!

      Delete
  9. I've heard of the bacon gel! I'm not a bacon person, but I could see how it could help with salt cravings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Just the way that potato chips do!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt