Highlights: Strength Training, Races & More



Favorite Links of the Week

Top 5 Strength Training Tips for Runners (Jen Rulon) - Strength training will improve your pace.

5 Common Myths About Strength Training for Runners (Runners Connect) - I needed a reminder to completely recover between sets. I rush it!

Just Two Minutes of Foam Rolling Enhances Flexibility - I'm going to try this: foam roll each muscle group twice after each run or before running! Plus, after 2-3 runs I'll do strength training.

Strength Training for Ultramarathonrunners: A Case for Heavy Weights (ReadRunRave) - This article makes the case for squats. This week, I did far too many squats than I should have and was sore for days. Increase slowly!

Brain Training & Bikers - Mental training boosts endurance. It looks like I should try to do more math when I run!

5 Inspiring Race Reports

Daily G(Races) blogger, Kortni, helped her friend to PR when they finished the 3M Half Marathon (TX) together in 1:59!

The HoHo Runs blogger was the 2nd place finisher in her age group at the Callaway Gardens Half Marathon (GA) with a time of 2:09! See her report for tips on figuring out your estimated finish time on the run.

The Millennial Next Door blogger, Hanna, completed the Icebreaker Indoor Half Marathon (WI) in 1:51 and earned herself a PR!

Shannon was the 1st female finisher at the Bigfoot 50K (OH) with a time of 6:01! Her unique award: a handmade walking stick that she'll use on her hiking adventures.

Susan was the 3rd overall finisher in the Mississippi Blues Half Marathon and ran negative splits with a time of 1:38!

I hope you enjoy my round-up of this week's highlights and that you get a good run in this weekend!

Comments

  1. Great links, off to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all these links! I love strength training so am excited to read these articles. I had read the Runners Connect article. What it doesn't clearly say about recovery is that you need to rest when you're working the same muscles. I do supersets. In one of my workouts, I do 1 lower body exercise working lower body muscles and then move right into 1 core exercise working abs. By the time I'm done with the second exercise, I can move right back to the first because that muscle had enough recovery without having to wait around and not do anything. At least, that's why my trainer told me when he gave me this workout! By doing it this way, I complete the workout in much less time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, that makes sense! Thanks for the explanation and for saving me some time in the future!

      Delete
  3. Great Links! thanks for posting these, particularly the ultra marathon one. Reading Pam smith's article is an eye opener.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's great when runners share what they've learned so we can all learn something that might help us with our running!

      Delete
  4. I've been focusing on strength for 8 weeks now and I thought the squats were going to kill me. But it gets better. I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm barely sore at all anymore. Great roundup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doing a squat workout seemed easy, but it wasn't! Thanks for giving me a little hope!

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for the shoutout!! :-)

    Here is a strength training link that I love: a core workout from Lolo Jones. It's amazing and easy! I do moves from this all the time! (workouts start on the 2nd page) http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/fast-abs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bookmarked! I like the way that post shows how the core benefits specific body parts and common mistakes we make, too. Thank you and congrats to you on completing the indoor race with a PR finish!

      Delete
  6. I'm all about the strength training - love the links!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the truth! Glad you liked them!

      Delete
  7. I love my foam roller. I can't imagine doing without!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually remembered to use mine after 3 of my 4 runs that I did so far this week!

      Delete
  8. As always, thanks for sharing these race reports! I always enjoy reading them :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the links! I need to get better about strength. I've probably said this a million times but I NEED TO.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt