Highlights: Nutrition, Races & More


Here some of my favorite posts and recaps found on the web this week...

Aggressive Fueling Plan Means Faster Marathon Times (Runner's World) - In the study, runners used 3 gels an hour. I've never tried 3 gels an hour, but in a recent 50K trail race, 2 gels an hour worked for me.

Race Day Tactics (iRunFar) - Performance boosting strategies to enhance your race.

The Low-down on Snack Bars (The Real Life RD) - Sometimes you don't have time to make a blueberry French toast sandwich (photo)! That's when snack bars are handy. My favorite bars: Larabars (cinnamon roll and apple pie) and homemade bars like Sally's Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal bars.

Female Race Directors Make Their Mark (Zelle) - Lists 5 marathons directed by women, such as the LA Marathon.

At Home with Jo Pavey (BBC) - A video of the 40 year old gold medal winner in the 10,000m at the 2014 European Championships in her home with her family and out for a run.

Soon-to-be Scientist Makes Remarkable Recovery - A runner fell into a ravine while running at Houston's Memorial Park and broke her neck. That led to the realization that she loved science and a science degree.

Race Recaps

Marathon Training Academy blogger, Angie, was the 1st female finisher at the Hawk Indoor Marathon (MD)! It wasn't nearly as hard as she thought it would be to run an indoor marathon.

Nicole Studer broke the American 100 mile trail record last weekend at the Rocky Raccoon 100 Mile Race (Huntsville State Park, TX - that's where I'll run my next half marathon). She didn't wear a watch, took in more gels the farther she ran and finished in 14:22!

Stef at Enduro Stew ran the Rocky Raccoon 100 Mile Race, too, but her race ended with a broken ankle. That race course is where got my only DNF - those trail roots are no joke!

Ultra Runner Stewardess blogger, Jean, completed the Snowdrop Ultra 100 Mile Race (TX) in 31 hours 53 minutes! The Snowdrop Foundation raises funds to research pediatric cancer.

Comments

  1. Wow a snowdrop 10 mile race. That sounds crazy. Will have to look this blog up. That pea but butter banana oatmeal sounds delicious. -L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I can't imagine running for almost 32 hours!

      Delete
  2. The snowdrop ultra does not sound fun!!!
    Just over 14 hours for 100 miles is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing what our bodies can do!

      Delete
  3. I didn't even take 3 GU's during my whole full marathon! Wow, I guess I should be consuming more! -M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In all of the marathons I've run, the norm has probably been to take a gel every 45-60 minutes or so.

      Delete
  4. Your french toast berry sandwich looks amazing! What a great roundup! I can't even begin to imagine doing an ultra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both 100 mile races and indoor marathons, too, seem nearly impossible. It's fun to read about people who tackle them!

      Delete
  5. Oh man that blueberry french toast sandwich looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy to make! I added a link to the recipe in the post.

      Delete
  6. Great race recaps and articles. I read the 3 gels/hour one and it has definitely made me rethink my fueling strategy during a marathon. I don't think I could get in 3, but maybe I'll shoot for 2 an hour, which is more than I currently do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seemed like a lot for me to try 2/hour in my last race, but it worked!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

50 Mile Race Coming Up

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week