Monday, February 16, 2015

Love. Run. Half Marathon. Report

3rd place AG Finish!
The Love. Run. Half Marathon was held on Valentine's Day in Huntsville State Park, Texas. I finished in 3rd place in my age group in 2:07:54!

When the results were posted online on Sunday, I was excited to find out that I was bumped up from 4th to 3rd out of 31 runners in the 40-49 age group. Because the Master's award went to a runner in my AG, I became the 3rd place finisher.

Course: I brought my own fuel, but they handed out water and Gatorade along the course along with one GU gel handout; root-filled trails (I saw a runner fall, but no falls for me), some hills, mostly shaded, plenty of race markings so you'll stay on course!

Weather/Clothes: perfect weather, blue skies, 45 degrees at the start, Nike shirt and cap, North Face skirt, Saucony Ride 6 shoes. I like the race finisher's shirt and the Project: Love One shirt I was given for volunteering.

Got the Medal!

Fuel Pre-run: white rice, banana, coffee with milk (I'm not a coffee drinker, but maybe the caffeine helped.)

Fuel During Race: This worked well: 1 serving lemon and 1 serving caffeinated Raspberry Tailwind Nutrition (the total calories and carbohydrates was similar to taking 2 gels) in my 20 ounce handheld water bottle. The two flavors mixed together tasted good and my energy was steady throughout the race.

Post-race Food: chicken and beef soft tacos, oranges

Volunteers: At the finish line, I ran into a  race volunteer who I only know because of our blogs! Later that afternoon, I volunteered as course marshal at mile 25 of the marathon held on the same course. One runner jokingly asked to be carried to the finish line. I know that feeling!

Race Sign: Try to be better than yourself!
Parking: I had no problem finding parking since we stayed at the park the night before. If you drive there on race morning, you'll want to arrive early. They started the race 10 minutes late to accommodate runners stuck in a line at the park entrance.

Our RV Race-mobile: My husband and I stayed at the park in our RV for the weekend. I didn't even need an alarm to wake up for the race since we were there and the race didn't start until 8AM. The day after the race, I rode my bike on the race course and saw one of the encouraging signs leftover from the race (photo). The ride was supposed to be a recovery ride, but I ended up riding up a lot of hills that I had forgotten about!

Race Organization: I ran this race in 2012 and both races were well done. Project: Love One raised over $30,000 from the race to help orphans. Along the course, they posted photos of children they've helped. It's a great race to run if you're near Houston in February!

The King will reply, "Truly I tell you, whatever you did for the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me." Matthew 25:40

35 comments:

  1. What a great thing to do for Valentines day! I've never heard of Raspberry tailwind nutrition. So cool that you met another blogger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added a Tailwind link to my post to make it easier to look into their powder that you add to water.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your age group award!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was a nice way to be surprised when I saw the online results!

      Delete
  3. Great job with your age group placing! I love that you also stuck around and helped volunteer later. Sounds like the weather was great for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a wonderful race. I like the ones that are off the beaten path, so to speak. Congrats on your AG award!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huntsville State Park is a nice park to run in. Your mind is always working... Where should I step next? Would I rather take an extra step or go straight through and step over the roots? That keeps you busy mentally!

      Delete
  5. I think 45 degrees is about the best race temp ever! Love your outfit too. And yay for a surprise AG award!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I went with a pink shirt since it was Valentine's Day!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on your AG award!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your 3rd place AG! That is awesome! Glad you had such a good race on what looks like a gorgeous day for running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect weather! The blue sky was beautiful and the temp was perfect for an early morning race.

      Delete
  8. Congratulations! Great run. Wish my upcoming marathon in AZ was going to be 45 deg. After this cold winter in the NE, I can't imagine how my body will adjust to the "heat wave" I'm sure to encounter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WooHoo - way to go on that race - so fun to get a 3rd in AG!!!
    Fun that you stuck around and volunteered after your race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that I did. Not only was it fun, but they gave me a nice shirt I can wear after the race for volunteering that doesn't say volunteer on it!

      Delete
  10. Awesome! Great job on getting 3rd in your AG! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on a great race Tina! Always nice to snag some AG swag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I didn't pick up my award because I had to rush off to get ready to volunteer and didn't even know I placed 3rd. I did receive two nice race shirts for finishing and volunteering - so that's okay!

      Delete
  12. Great Job! Congrats on your AG award! I've been running in the Saucony Ride this year too. I've recently been giving the new Breakthru a try and really like them for faster running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll have to look into those shoes - thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  13. Congrats on a great race and on finishing 3rd in your age group. I saw your picture with a t-shirt and running skirt and felt very jealous. It's so cold here that it was -5.8 F but felt like -20 F with the wind. I ran anyway and ice was forming on my eyelashes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'd need some hot cocoa with lots of marshmallows after a run like yours!

      Delete
  14. Congratulations on the race and the AG placement!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on your third place finish. It sounds like a good race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it really was a good race all around! I'm glad it's so close to home!

      Delete
  16. Congratulations on placing in our AG!! That's exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the results were posted, I was very excited to see that I placed!

      Delete
  17. Congratulations on a strong finish and for placing in your AG! It looks like a really fun, stress-free run. Sounds like you had the perfect weather too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The race started with a little stress - someone falling just ahead of me, but that was a good reminder to lift my feet up over the roots - as if I need any reminders!!! (I've fallen before.)

      Delete
  18. Congrats on your AG finish! Although it typically doesn't matter for me, I don't like when races "double count" finishes, by giving someone who placed overall an age group award as well. I think it's more fair to do the awards the way this race did. Looks like you had a great day for the race! I love when we camp for a race. But I've yet to run a race in a state park or similar venue where we could literally camp at the race.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on placing in your AG! A trail half marathon sounds like so much fun. I've just recently gotten into trail running and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great job Tina! Congrats on the AG award. It looks so warm there.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...