Monday, February 2, 2015

Second 18 Mile Run


This week's long run was a good one. The weather was so nice that I was able to wear shorts and, best of all, I finished feeling strong. It was my second long run leading up to my 2/28 marathon.

Goal, Pace & My Sore Arm!
  • My goal was 3 hours, but I missed it by 5 minutes and ran a 10:18 average pace. Maybe next time! 
  • Knowing that I was nearly finished gave me an extra surge of energy and my last mile was my fastest - 8:50. 
  • After finishing the run, my left arm was sore from carrying my water bottle in my left hand for the whole run. I thought about switching hands as usual, but I like carrying it in my left hand and I wondered if it would make a difference. Now I know! 

Food for the Run

Pre-run:
  • toast and jam
  • mocha coffee
  • Beet Elite Neo Shot - Beet Elite tastes like sweetened beets. I can't tell if it made a difference after only one packet, though. See what Flexitarian Filly, a 2:42 marathoner, thinks about it and how she achieved a half marathon PR.

During run: 
  • Tailwind Nutrition tasted great and got me through the run. I mixed together 2 lemon and 1 caffeinated raspberry serving (75 carbs total). Tailwind now comes in small packets you can use on the run.
  • A Clif Kid fruit rope (17 carbs) that comes in a convenient to carry packet. 

Post-run:
When I finished my run, I was chilled so I warmed up with lentil soup and saved my Cherry Smoothie for later. That's a first for a recovery meal for me!

With a half marathon and a marathon coming up this month, I plan to buy some tart cherry juice this week. I received a $1 coupon for Cheribundi tart cherry juice by signing up here. I know that it tastes good and I need any help that I can find to recover quickly!

26 comments:

  1. An awesome run! You'll be ready in 4 weeks for sure. I've never tried Tailwind. Does it have artificial sweeteners?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Here's the ingredient list for lemon Tailwind: Dextrose (Glucose), Sucrose, Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Sea Salt, Organic Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Magnesium Citrate, Calcium Carbonate.

      Delete
  2. Great job, I think you're well prepared for the marathon. I'm with you, I love Tailwind. That has gotten me through many races over the last few years keeping my stomach happy. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cory! I know from your blog that it's gotten you through some crazy long ultras!

      Delete
  3. Great job on that run - awesome that you could wear shorts in January!!!
    I've heard lots of good things about cherry juice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Cheribundi emailed me a $1 coupon and I used it at Walmart today. (32 oz. was $6.) I had the coupon on my phone and showed it to the cashier. What a convenient way to use a coupon!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your 18 miler. So jealous that you were able to wear shorts. I haven't even been able to run outside lately here in the northeast. -L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great! Today I ran 12 miles and the temps "felt like" 28 degrees so I bundled up!

      Delete
  5. Lentil soup after a long run sounds awesome! Congrats on finishing strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not exactly one of those meals you dream about eating when you finish a long run, but there's nothing like something hot when you're chilled! And thanks!

      Delete
  6. I'm sure you are going to have a great marathon. You are always such a steady and consistent runner and train well! I've been wondering about the beet thing too. I seriously need to solve my fueling. I have actually been running without fuel for a long time now and finally took a gel on my 12 mile run last week. I know I need to start prepping my body again for fueling. I do make sure to have a hearty bowl of oatmeal at least 45 min before I set out on longer runs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've been eating before a lot of my runs lately, but today I didn't have time to eat before today's 12 miler. I'm glad I felt the same as usual even without my usual oatmeal.

      Delete
  7. Nice work on the run. I have trouble with the handhelds, can't seem to make them work for me. Been thinking about trying the Tail Wind too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might like to visit the Tailwind site. There's a lot of interesting info there!

      Delete
  8. Great job on your run, you were so close to your goal! I hate carrying anything in my hands for that long of a run, have you tried a hydration belt? Once I got used to mine I hardly notice it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like my hydration belt, too. I wore one when I ran my longest distance so far - 39.1 miles!

      Delete
  9. Good for you. That's a long ways. 9 miles was my long run last week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like your training is going great and congrats on finishing strong on your long run...Looking forward to hearing about how your race on the 28th goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It always feels good to get one of the long runs completed because they're so important to get done leading up to a marathon.

      Delete
  11. Good job on your long run Tina. I'll be thinking about you on 2/28 since I'm running a marathon on that day as well. We'll be together in heart :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! I hope we both have fast feet and great race days!

      Delete
  12. Race day is right around the corner! That's awesome that your last mile was the fastest. That's tough to do on a long run. Good job! I still haven't tried Tailwind, but I really want to. I think I'm going to order some now, since I keep forgetting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fast finish is a great confidence booster!

      Delete
  13. Great job, Tina! My arms get sore too if I don't switch up which hand I carry my bottle in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember ever having a sore arm from my water bottle before this because I always switch hands. Hopefully, I'll remember this little experiment!

      Delete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...