Second 18 Mile Run
This week's long run was a good one. The weather was so nice that I was able to wear shorts and, best of all, I finished feeling strong. It was my second long run leading up to my 2/28 marathon.
Goal, Pace & My Sore Arm!
- My goal was 3 hours, but I missed it by 5 minutes and ran a 10:18 average pace. Maybe next time!
- Knowing that I was nearly finished gave me an extra surge of energy and my last mile was my fastest - 8:50.
- After finishing the run, my left arm was sore from carrying my water bottle in my left hand for the whole run. I thought about switching hands as usual, but I like carrying it in my left hand and I wondered if it would make a difference. Now I know!
Food for the Run
- toast and jam
- mocha coffee
- Beet Elite Neo Shot - Beet Elite tastes like sweetened beets. I can't tell if it made a difference after only one packet, though. See what Flexitarian Filly, a 2:42 marathoner, thinks about it and how she achieved a half marathon PR.
- Tailwind Nutrition tasted great and got me through the run. I mixed together 2 lemon and 1 caffeinated raspberry serving (75 carbs total). Tailwind now comes in small packets you can use on the run.
- A Clif Kid fruit rope (17 carbs) that comes in a convenient to carry packet.
When I finished my run, I was chilled so I warmed up with lentil soup and saved my Cherry Smoothie for later. That's a first for a recovery meal for me!
With a half marathon and a marathon coming up this month, I plan to buy some tart cherry juice this week. I received a $1 coupon for Cheribundi tart cherry juice by signing up here. I know that it tastes good and I need any help that I can find to recover quickly!