Monday, February 9, 2015

This Week's Long Run Fuel

Zoe Inspects the Leftovers
Cool weather, eating more carbohydrates than usual the day before and for my pre-run meal and just being farther along in marathon training all contributed to a great 18.5 mile run this week. I ran faster (9:31/mile ave. pace) than I did during my previous 18 milers and finished fast at 9:05 and 8:50 pace for the last two miles.

Long Run Fuel 

I ate something every 3 miles: two halves of a tortilla with grape jelly, Powerbar gel, 2 fruit twists (new type for me), half of a citrus Vitalyte electrolyte drink (new to me, tastes more salty than sweet) and a tri-berry GU Brew electrolyte tablet (tastes sweeter than Nuun). I carried all of this in my Skirt Sports Adventure Girl 5 pocket skirt ($35 at Skirt Sports now).

Long Run Fuel (skipped the honey)
Too Much Liquid

One disadvantage of drinking my fuel over getting all that I need from food with water is that sometimes I drink too much like I did during this run. With a running drink, when it's cooler I don't need to drink as much, but I still need to fuel my run and this requires adjusting - sometimes it's hard to do on the run and it takes a little more experimenting in similar weather conditions.

Recap of My 50.5 Mile Week

M: 12 mile run, strength train (post-run: sore right hip flexor)
T: 8 mile run, strength train (hip flexor is fine, but right foot hurts to flex post-run)
W: bike 55 min
T: 8 mile run, strength train (foot is fine)
F: 18.5 mile run (post-run: slightly sore hip flexor)
S: 4 mile run, core (hip flexor is fine)
S: rest

I'm running a marathon on February 28, but first I'm running the Love. Run. Half Marathon on February 14. They've changed the name since I ran the half in 2012 when I won my age group (!), but it's put on by the same group. That was a great race - I'm looking forward to Valentine's Day and I hope you are, too!

21 comments:

  1. This is so interesting! I'm reading up on fueling and nutrition since I'm still learning what works for me. Some people can't run with food in their belly, but I don't think that's me. I might play around with real food instead of gels and see what happens. Great, high-mileage week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gels are convenient on race day, but I like to try other foods, too. You might, too!

      Delete
  2. Your fuel looks kind of exciting to me! I get the tendency to not drink as much in cooler weather, ergo nutrition falls short. All the best with your upcoming races!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised at how much I liked the tortilla roll-ups. They were easy to eat while I ran because they slid right up out of the plastic wrap that I had put them in.

      Delete
  3. Wow - lots of great nutrition on that run!!
    Good luck Saturday at the half!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took more than enough and didn't finish it all, but that's better than too little!

      Delete
  4. Great job on your long run. I can't imagine doing 50 mile wk. Wow! I recently wore a skirt with pockets during a race and I can't believe how much fuel you can actually fit in the pockets. Love them! -L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. During my last race, I actually "lost" a gel in one of my pockets and thought that I dropped it or ate one too early - something I have to be careful of in the future when I have a lot of pockets with a lot of gels. It worked out fine, though, in the end!

      Delete
  5. Your mileage is looking really good, Tina! That fueling thing can be tricky, but you seem to have a good understanding of how to adjust things. Have fun at the half!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always experimenting! Makes running more interesting!

      Delete
  6. Great work out there, and nice week of training!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There were a few very minor pains, but it ended up being a good week after all.

      Delete
  7. Have fun at your valentine half. 50 miles plus is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, this 50 mile week will be my max. Hopefully, it's enough!

      Delete
  8. Best of luck at your half marathon this weekend!! I'm sure you'll kill it!

    I only food fuel every 6 miles on a long run (and only on long runs over 13 miles) with Gu - anything more than that is just too much for my stomach. I do drink a lot of water and Gatorade though, especially if it's hot out. I love Gatorade on long runs, when you're tired and dehydrated it is like the nectar of the gods!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drink a lot when it's hot out, too, which is most of the time here in Texas! They're serving Gatorade at the marathon I'm running soon so I'll probably have that to supplement my main fuel. I think it's the endurance formula with more sodium than the usual.

      Delete
  9. Great way to finish a long run strong :) I learn a lot a new ideas from your fueling. I am tucking the ideas away unitl i can run again. I know you are going to have a great Valentine's Day race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to reading your running posts again and I know you're looking forward to getting back at it!

      Delete
  10. I never eat or drink while running since my longest distance is 10 km, But I'm curious, do you eat while keeping pace? Or do you stop to fuel up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pull the food out of my pocket and eat while I run most of the time. Good question!

      Delete
  11. Your marathon is right around the corner now! I'm glad your training is going so well. That's one disadvantage I saw to using the Tailwind: I would really have to drink a lot of fluid to get all of my fuel that way. I'm definitely looking forward to giving it a try, but I doubt I will ever rely on it as my sole form of fuel.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...