Cornmeal Chia Cookies


I'm sort of, kind of thinking about running another 50K or my first 50 mile race so I experimented with some common ultra aid station foods during this week's long run. In my running skirt pockets and my hydration belt, I carried a cornmeal chia cookie, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, a bit of potato and banana pieces. I was a traveling aid station!

I experienced an unsettled tummy for a couple of minutes, but since I ate so many different foods and electrolyte tabs, too, it's hard to pin down what caused it. I'll probably go with just one or two foods during my next long run.

The cornmeal chia cookies filled me up until lunch, but they didn't taste very good. Since I didn't use the right type of cornmeal, they fell apart easily. On the plus side, they're high in fiber and because of the main ingredient, cornmeal, eating them might be like something the endurance running Tarahumara Indian tribe or the Kenyans would eat. 

Cornmeal Chia Cookies (makes 12 cookies)
  1. Toast 1 cup masa harina cornmeal (treated with lime) and 2 tablespoons chia seeds for 5 minutes in a pan, stirring constantly.
  2. Pour mixture into a bowl.
  3. Stir in 3 tablespoons honey or syrup, dash of cinnamon, 4 diced dates and 1/2 -2/3 cup water.
  4. Spoon onto non-stick cookie sheet or use cookie scoop for uniform cookies.
  5. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
Adapted from One Ingredient Chef, whose cookies came out looking much better than mine (I think it's the cornmeal).

Nutrition for 3 cookies made with honey: Carbohydrates: 49; Protein: 4; Fat: 3; Fiber: 6; Calories: 228

Comments

  1. They sound tasty, but too much fiber during a run. I'd be afraid of running to the bathroom. -L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know some people run with chia seed gel, but because of the fiber I only wanted to bring one of these cookies for each run. Maybe the gels have fewer chia seeds in them.

      Delete
  2. I love how you are always experimenting with different fuels.
    You should do that 50 miler :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha - thanks for the vote of confidence for the longer distance!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you're on the right track. Although I still use GU, I find myself taking in more real food during the ultras and feeling better as a result.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking of using the 10 GU gels I have in my pantry and using the aid station food to supplement them.

      Delete
  4. These sound great! I'll have to give them a try. A 50 mile race would be awesome! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like them. Be sure to use hasa marina cornmeal so they don't fall apart like mine!

      Delete
  5. Ya for "real" food instead of GU's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Using what I already have in the pantry never hurts!

      Delete
  6. Oh sweet! Run a 50 miler :) Just don't add on extra mileage to the race! I'm really interested in making my own long run fuel in the future (some kind of protein/peanut butter ball or something) but I haven't taken that any further, yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about peanut butter balls, too, something I haven't tried during a run yet.

      Ha, ha! I've run the 25K version of the race I'm considering and didn't get off-track so I'm feeling pretty good about keeping it at just 50 miles if I do that one!

      Delete
  7. I've been trying to eat more whole foods on the run too to practice for anything over 50k--when my stomach seems to get torn up the most from gels. Lara Bars are the easiest for me to grab and go, so I've been practicing with those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Larabars would be fun to try on the run. My favorite Larabar flavors, so far, are Apple Pie and Cinnamon Roll.

      Delete
  8. I may have to try this one. I like the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might even like to check the original poster's recipe for lots of step by step photos. Hope you like them!

      Delete
  9. I just read your marathon race recap--good job! That looks like my kind of "low key" race.
    You talked about thinking that carbo loading before the race didn't seem to help. I have found this too. While most people eat a banana or bagel before a run. I have found a simple scrambled egg on a piece of Ezekiel bread works for me. (The irony is that I really dislike eggs). I read about making "rice balls" for fuel--I might try that. I believe it was originally something that cyclists used in the multistage races because after so many days in the saddle their bodies got sick of "fake" fuel. I will have to try and find the recipe and send it along to you. Fueling for long runs is my weakest area. I think because so much of the "pre-made" fuel doesn't work for me.
    Interesting post. 50 miler--Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being tired of "fake" fuel, which Lisa mentioned in her comment, too, is the reason I want to experiment with "real" fuel so I made rice balls last night and ate a couple during my 10 mile run today. They were good and I'll blog about them sometime, but I'd like to try your recipe, too!

      Delete
    2. I found the you tube video. After watching it again, I think I might try having this pre-run. I am not sure what the shelf life would be--I get nervous about things like that!
      http://theconversation.com/eat-me-drink-me-fuelling-riders-in-the-tour-de-france-14856

      Delete
    3. The video makes me want to make some rice and eggs. That would be a good pre-run meal. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  10. Love this. I am so into making my own balls and bars lately instead of buying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy to buy them pre-made, but it's fun to make your own.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt