Cornmeal Chia Cookies
I experienced an unsettled tummy for a couple of minutes, but since I ate so many different foods and electrolyte tabs, too, it's hard to pin down what caused it. I'll probably go with just one or two foods during my next long run.
The cornmeal chia cookies filled me up until lunch, but they didn't taste very good. Since I didn't use the right type of cornmeal, they fell apart easily. On the plus side, they're high in fiber and because of the main ingredient, cornmeal, eating them might be like something the endurance running Tarahumara Indian tribe or the Kenyans would eat.
Cornmeal Chia Cookies (makes 12 cookies)
- Toast 1 cup masa harina cornmeal (treated with lime) and 2 tablespoons chia seeds for 5 minutes in a pan, stirring constantly.
- Pour mixture into a bowl.
- Stir in 3 tablespoons honey or syrup, dash of cinnamon, 4 diced dates and 1/2 -2/3 cup water.
- Spoon onto non-stick cookie sheet or use cookie scoop for uniform cookies.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
Adapted from One Ingredient Chef, whose cookies came out looking much better than mine (I think it's the cornmeal).
Nutrition for 3 cookies made with honey: Carbohydrates: 49; Protein: 4; Fat: 3; Fiber: 6; Calories: 228