Training Run: 28 Miles


Since I might run the Brazos Bend 50 mile trail race (the longest race I've ever run) or the 50K race on April 25, I ran a 28 miler yesterday. It was the longest training run I've done so far. The photo shows the lake that I ran around and around. It sure beats running on a treadmill - especially when I see deer like I did yesterday.

Fuel for My 28 Mile Run 

I drank my last 2 servings of my Tailwind Nutrition drink and 4 servings of the tropical fruit Cytomax performance drink. Yesterday and then today, when I used Cytomax during my run, I had stomach cramps. I'm wondering if the stevia in Cytomax is to blame. I might need to mix it with more water if I try it again.

For two days before the run, I increased my carbohydrates. I liked the banana rice cookies that I made based on this recipe. To bring out the banana flavor, leave out the apple sauce.

Longest Training Run

Besides 5 short bouts of stomach cramps after mile 16, yesterday's somewhat rainy 28 miler went well. With an average pace of 11:21/mile, it took me 5 1/4 hours. My fastest mile (10:36/mi) was my last one. Afterwards, I only had a minor chafing issue where a plastic bag in my skirt pocket rubbed my leg and one slightly sore pinky toe. Both problems are fine now.

The Week's Running 

6 (with sprints), 10 (3 miles hard), 4, 0, 28 (fast finish mile), 7, 0 = 55 miles

Comments

  1. I can't even imagine. Holy cow that is awesome! When will you decide which race you'll do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably not until I need to sign-up, sometime after March 28. For once, I don't need to sign up way ahead of time so I might as well wait and make sure my legs hold up!

      Delete
  2. Awesome week of training! So are you definitely doing one or the other (50K or 50 miler) in April?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I haven't registered yet for either race, but I'm training as though I'm going to run the 50 miler.

      Delete
  3. I can't even get my head around a race that long let alone a training run but you've got it going on. Great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still trying to wrap my head around it! Running 28 miles makes the idea of running 50 miles sound nearly impossible, but not completely!

      Delete
  4. Wow! Great job on that 28 miler. I can't even imagine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, working up to 28 miles gradually really works!

      Delete
  5. Great job with your long run! That is so far, but it would make 50 miles seem more doable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Amazing. An ultra run on your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I hope to do one or two more longer runs before the race.

      Delete
  7. 5 bouts of stomach cramps, wow! You are tough to keep going. Congrats on a the long run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, 5 - feeling pretty good about being able to run through that!

      Delete
  8. Nicely done!! Woo hoo for the 50 miler...sounds exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Sulphur Springs 50 Mile Trail Run post is a great one to read for anyone considering a 50 miler!

      Delete
  9. WooHoo - great job on that LONG run!!
    So excited that you are thinking about the 50 - you will do awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, I won't have to deal with the mud like you experienced at Grasslands Trail 50!

      Delete
  10. That is an amazing long run :) What a great pace you maintained through the cramps. 50 miles will be a huge accomplishment! I think if you ran 28 and feel you recovered pretty easily you will ace it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hoping, hoping, hoping!

      Delete
  11. What a great account as to what to expect when training. Although, I have to admit, you are stronger than I am with the stomach cramps. I would've stopped 28 miles ago! I am totally awestruck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sort of glad (now!) that I had those stomach cramps. If I cramp during a race, I'll remind myself that they will go away - hopefully!

      Delete
  12. Now that is something to be so proud of. A confidence booster for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanne! 50 still sounds really far, but it does help to know I've run 28 already in training.

      Delete
  13. Wow you are in excellent shape! Feeling so good after 28 miles is awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt