25 Mile Training Run For My 1st 50 Mile Race


I finally decided on registering for the 50 mile race! I'm leaning towards using my 4 bottle Nathan belt for the race and I used it today without any problems except for two tender spots on my back afterwards. Having 4 bottles will mean that I can have water and a drink like Heed or Gatorade that should be offered along the race course. Thanks for commenting on what you like to use in my last post!

I ran for 4 hours and 37 minutes today - 25 miles! My 11:06/mile pace was faster than it was for my other recent long training runs. I'm not sure why because it was warm (75-80) and somewhat humid. I did drink more than usual, though, and maybe that fueled me better. During the first half, I drank 20 ounces of liquid an hour and after that, I drank 30 ounces of liquid an hour.



Pre-run (1 hour before)
pancakes with honey, 1/2 banana (frozen pieces), coffee with creamer

During 25 Mile Run
2 PB&J sandwiches, 32 oz Gatorade, 1 flat can of Coke, 1 scoop Hammer Perpetuem (disliked taste, but I felt strong during my usual tired 21-23 mile mark, maybe it was the protein in this powder), 1/2 Nuun tablet, Gu & Powerbar gel, Sweethearts candy (it was the best treat during my run!), water from fountains

Later for dessert, I finished off a no-bake peanut butter bar made with 5 ingredients: peanut butter, powdered sugar, graham crackers, butter and chocolate chips and so good. If you make them before a long run, they'll be chilled and ready to eat when you're finished running!

I hope you have a happy Easter!

Comments

  1. Woo hoo glad to hear you decided on the 50 miler!! Awesome start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robin! After finishing my first two 50K's last year, it will be fun to try the longer distance.

      Delete
  2. I love reading about how others fuel for running. Nice run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, too! It's a great way to get ideas! Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Nice! Those no-bake bars sound GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are, or, were! I changed the recipe and used regular chocolate chips, but using white chocolate chips (like the recipe calls for) would be really good, too.

      Delete
  4. So exciting that you are doing the 50!! I know you will rock it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! With three weeks to go, it's about time for the taper. I'm hoping going into the race with rested legs will help me get to the finish line.

      Delete
  5. Great run and congrats on getting signed up! I like to run with my hydration belt, so nice to have something to drink when you want it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Plus, having numerous bottles means you can have more than one kind of drink.

      Delete
  6. Happy Easter Tina!
    Good luck for your 50 miler, I know you'll do well.
    I've been trying a few Hammer gels and found them to be quite good, not too sweet. Although that sweethearts candy sounds rather appealing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They should have Hammer gels at the aid station and I'll be able to grab some if I run out of my own gels. I remember liking the apple-flavored Hammer gel.

      Delete
  7. Your fueling sounds amazing!! I will be at that same race doing the 50K, my first ultra! Should be fun, hope we see some gators! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, I'm glad you commented because it led me to your blog! I did the 25K last year and since I didn't see an alligator during my run, I asked around and found one after the race!

      Delete
  8. So excited that you registered.
    And I LOVE those candy hearts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't had those hearts in ages. They were a sweet treat!

      Delete
  9. Wow - 50 miles! I'm very excited for you. The no bake peanut butter bars look delicious. I love recipes with just a few ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! Especially if you don't really even need to worry about measuring too much either. The fewer the measuring spoons to wash, the better!

      Delete
  10. Very exciting! 50 miles, what an adventure it will be :)
    Your training runs are pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good thing about a new distance is that it takes a little bit of the pressure off... Most important to me - just to finish!

      Delete
  11. Wow, awesome training run! And your during-run snacks sound so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ate and drank often and I think that's what helped me to finish the miles. It was nice having a lot of choices.

      Delete
  12. So exciting that you deiced to sign up for the 50 miler!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Meagan! I'm looking forward to it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

50 Mile Race Coming Up