Friday, May 15, 2015

Running in Palo Duro Canyon State Park


This week I went on a vacation to Palo Duro Canyon State Park, Texas, about a day's drive from home. It's the second largest U.S. canyon. On Tuesday, I ran up the trail to see Lighthouse rock, which you can see in the distance in the center of the top photo. Last time, my husband and I ran and biked all of the way to the rock, but this time we didn't have the time.

I got in some great hill running on this trip. My husband rode his bike and made a few jokes to the hikers we saw on the trail about keeping up with me or finally passing me. We stayed in our RV and had a campfire that night.

We both got in some hill work!  
The next morning, I set out from our campground down the road for a 5 mile run. Someone driving by asked if I needed a ride. They probably didn't think that anyone would actually want to run in the cold rain! It was a nice change from warm and humid and we don't have good hills like that at home so I was happy to be out there running.

This Week's Workouts

5/9: Bike 30 min, Strength train
5/10: Run 7 miles (6 x .5 mile), Myrtl routine (video)
5/11: Rest
5/12: Run 5.8 miles (short hills)
5/13: Run 5 miles (long hills)
5/14: Rest
5/15: Run 13 miles
Total Running: 30.8 miles (ramping up after my 4/25 50 mile race)

22 comments:

  1. Great job on your runs. I need to incorporate hills into my weekly routine. I know it makes your s stronger runner. I just hate doing them. Looks like a beautiful place to run a bike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I need to travel to a beautiful hilly place once a week for hill work - more fun that way!

      Delete
  2. It's so much fun to run when you're traveling and explore new places. Yay for a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great short vacation! Time to plan the next trip!

      Delete
    2. Where to next? :)

      Delete
    3. We're thinking about Montana, but nothing's settled yet. That would be a new vacation spot for both of us.

      Delete
  3. This is my idea of a great vacation! I would love to be running in that first picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather was really nice for running that day. The last time we visited and I ran, I was covered in mud from the recent rain.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a fun week of camping (minus the rain)! What a gorgeous backdrop for running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After talking to friends here at home about the park, we've met a lot of people who have never been there before. I'm glad we had the chance (twice now)!

      Delete
  5. Wow, what a gorgeous place to run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pretty place! I posted many more photos in my previous post about this trip that I linked to in this post.

      Delete
  6. This makes me think we need to invest in an RV! Sounds like a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since buying our RV in October, we've gone on a lot of fun trips. A few of the places we've been are California, the Grand Canyon and Big Bend National Park.

      Delete
  7. That looks like a beautiful place to run! What race are you ramping up to? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know yet! We're planning some traveling this summer so I hope to find a destination race.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful place :) That's funny someone asked you if you wanted a ride :)
    You always seem to be running so healthy and strong and accomplishing a lot. I am still trying to figure that out. Great week and I am taking cues from your rest days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pushing myself and running without injury is something I'm always trying to balance out correctly - not easy to figure out because there are so many variables!

      Delete
  9. It looks like a gorgeous place to run. I bet you had some pretty intense hills too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah! Makes me laugh at the hills I run on at home - and then I call that "hillwork" training!

      Delete
  10. That sounds like great fun and yet another beautiful place you got to run!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We needed another practice run in our RV before going on a longer trip. Running in the canyon was the icing on the cake!

      Delete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...