Black Hills of South Dakota

View from my Run on the Mickelson Trail 

In one week, we traveled 1600 miles from Texas and now my husband and I are in the Black Hills of South Dakota. I'm loving it!

Yesterday, I ran 7 hilly miles on the 109 mile long Mickelson Trail and then I ran 10 miles there today. I did long stretches of gradual hill work like 3 miles downhill and 2 1/2 uphill. I'm running Montana's Missoula Marathon (July 12), which has a hill midway through and I want to be prepared. The 5159' elevation makes it a little hard to run, but the wooden bridges, creek and rocky mountainsides make it worth it. 

Sylvan Lake
Yesterday we visited Mt. Rushmore (so many steps up to the heads!), drove through narrow tunnels on Needles Hwy., saw buffalo right beside our car (our dog kept on eye on them) and walked around Sylvan Lake.

You Can See Mt. Rushmore Through the Tunnel on Iron Mtn. Road
Today we visited the Crazy Horse statue and learned the inspiring story about the man who began the work of carving the statue out of the mountain and his family who keep his dream alive. Then we drove the Iron Mountain Road (see my favorite tunnel in the photo) and stopped for a bison burger (tastes a lot like beef to me, but has less fat) and to see quiet Lakota Lake.


Our Site
My husband and I are enjoying our stay at the Rafter J Bar Ranch, in Hill City, where the Mickelson Trail runs along the side of the campground (around mile marker 57). The internet is slow at our site so I'm glad that my husband installed Sky Ranger, which makes the really, really slow internet just plain slow.

Extra, extra! My husband's latest post is on all of the things that broke this week, something I try to forget. If you'd like to see where I run as we head north from Texas in our RV, I added a Strava gadget in my sidebar. Thanks for following along with our RV adventures!

Comments

  1. Aww, that trip seems so peaceful. Looks beautiful. Wish we had a pic of Mt. Rushmore. I've never been there.

    I didn't know your husband had a blog. Cool. I just checked it out. I hope that is the extent of the problems and the two of you have a nice problem-free rest of your trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you enlarge the tunnel photo, you can just barely see Mt. Rushmore. We weren't the only ones making u-turns to go through that tunnel a couple of times for the view of Mt.Rushmore through it.

      Delete
  2. This is such an amazing trip. What an awesome way to explore the country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great spot you have to stay. How fun to be stopping and running and enjoying the new adventures each day is bringing you :)
    I love Missoula, I can't wait to hear how your marathon goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really looking forward to seeing Missoula - heard good things about it!

      Delete
  4. I love the Black Hills. I've done a few races on the Mickelson Trail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try a different portion of that trail next time to see what it's like farther north. I hope it's just as pretty!

      Delete
  5. The Missoula Marathon is my one and only marathon :) It is a beautiful course, the hill is tough midway through but at least it is the only hill! Good luck!

    Rushmore and surrounding country is beautiful isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been running lots of hills as prep for that hill and had a good hilly run today. Yes, so pretty!

      Delete
  6. Your husband has been very busy fixing everything! This area of the country looks amazing. I can't wait to read where you'll be next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've headed towards the northern part of the Black Hills. I ran near the beginning section of the Mickelson trail today rather than the middle section like I did near Hill City.

      Delete
  7. What an exciting, scenic trip. You two are so fortunate to be able to travel like that and take it all in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those pictures are beautiful. We did a similar trip in the late 80's (wow do I feel old) and LOVED it. It is just breath taking! You definitely get a lot of variety in your running with all your travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Running during vacations - the best! Yesterday during my run, I scouted out some fun places to go later with my husband.

      Delete
  9. Wow looks spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to run by so much of the pretty scenery without stopping every few steps for a photo!

      Delete
  10. That sounds like a really nice trail for running, and I am loving reading about your big trip! So are you hitting the marathon in Montana on your way to Canada?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad! First, we're visiting Canada and then we'll come back south to Missoula. At some point, not sure yet, we'll visit Glacier Nat'l Park in Montana, too.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt