Monday, June 29, 2015

Montana History & Culture

I'm traveling the U.S. with my husband and we're in southeast Montana now. This is my first trip to Montana and since we've been here, I've done a couple of things I've never done before.


I went to my first rodeo, in Hardin, where we saw barrel-racing, team roping and mutton busting where little 5 and 6 year olds ride sheep in a timed contest (like this video).


I saw my first pow wow, which was held in Garryowen. They danced in the center and around the outside, they sold food like fry bread Indian tacos and kidney-on-a-stick.


I like the birdhouses on the fence posts and the Montana made huckleberry ice cream sandwich they give you when you arrive at the 7th Ranch RV park, in Garryowen, where we're staying.


From our campsite, I ran 6 miles on some hills dotted with pink cone flowers yesterday. Today, I ran 8 miles and saw prairie dogs and a loose white horse on the road. That horse looked so big so I u-turned - didn't know if he'd want to befriend me or what. After the run, I sat outside and finished off my ice cream sandwich with some milk for a perfect 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein.


Last night, we drove through the battlefield of the Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument where there are miles of tombstones on the hills that show where the soldiers died.



We heard it was a good one, so today we visited the Big Horn County Museum in Hardin where you can walk inside the old buildings that were relocated to the museum. I don't have running shoes to sell, but how about some dress fabric?


Yesterday, we saw a battle reenactment of Custer fighting the Indians at the real battle location on the banks of the Little Big Horn. They played the Garryowen tune you've probably heard before (hear it here). Garryowen is the town where we're staying now. After 2 hours in 95* heat, I was drenched, but it was worth it.

Coming up on our RV trip from Texas, we're heading towards cooler (I hope) Canada!

10 comments:

  1. Aww I would have loved to seen the prarrie dogs on my run but I think I may have gotten spooked by the wild horses! Huckleberry ice cream may be something I would try but kidney on a stick, no way! :). I hope you continue to enjoy your time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've driven by the prairie dog field many times without knowing that's where they hang out. Seeing them this morning on my run was a fun surprise.

      Delete
  2. How awesome :) You are in a part of Montana I have never visited. I love all the huckleberry stuff! One of my favorite is huckleberry fudge and chocolate lol It's nice this time of year because there are a lot of activities, but the heat seems rough this year earlier than usual. Looks like you have a nice run spot :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had huckleberry syrup and now this ice cream, but I've never seen Huckleberry fudge and chocolate before. Sounds good!

      Delete
  3. You are so close to me right now, you are almost in my backyard. No kidding. I live 20 miles west of Hardin along I-90, in fact if you drive to Billings you will drive right through my families ranch, the Interstate bisects part of the ranch and runs through it for 6 miles between the Arrow Creek and Pryor Creek exits, so wave as you go by :) When I was in 6th grade we did a unit on the Custer thing and then went to the battlefield. This reminds me I keep thinking about taking my son there. I took him to the reenactment one year and he was so shocked the "cowboys" and soldiers lost and the Indians won, it took him a long time to get over that. so funny.
    It looks like you are really getting the full experience here, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's so much history in your area! Funny about your son! Belated wave at the family ranch!

      Delete
  4. I love, love, love Montana. We've been there on vacation a couple of times. I'd live there in a second!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much cool stuff! I've always wanted to visit Montana and Wyoming. I love American history, but I've mostly only visited historical places on the east coast. Rodeos are so much fun - we typically go once or twice each summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my first visit to both states. It's been great except for the lack of WiFi that makes planning a little tricky!

      Delete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...