Oklahoma: Blowouts, Running & Alpacas


Our RV vacation has begun! My husband and I are traveling from our home in southeast Texas up to Canada's Banff National Park. On the first day, we visited friends near Dallas for a grilled lunch (grilled pineapples are one of my favorites!) and then we headed to Oklahoma.

That afternoon, we saw a blowout on a big rig just ahead of us. I thought that was the end for us, but my husband maneuvered around the debris and we didn't crash after all. Right away, we had our own blowout, but it was a calmer ordeal. We smelled something, pulled over and saw that we had a blowout, too. So I got in a few more walking steps on my Fitbit with my dog while we waited for the repairman and then we were on our way to the Oklahoma City area.

First stop: Pops, in Arcadia, where they have tons of sodas. The waitress said that if the name of the drink sounds like something you shouldn't drink, then don't. We know from experience - bacon may be good, but not as a drink! I played it safe and had a cherry/raspberry cream soda.



Then we headed back to Walmart in Edmonds to shop and spend a free night in the parking lot. It was quiet there. The "no RV/big rig overnight parking signs" may have had something to do with that, but we asked and Walmart said that just one night was fine.

I woke up early for a two hour run through nearby Fox Lakes, a nice neighborhood with lots of dog walkers. I heard on the local news that it would be humid, but I wasn't able to wring any sweat out from my clothes after my run like I can at home near Houston so it was on the drier side for me.

After a shower and a stop to walk around the Round Barn in Arcadia, OK, which is just what it sounds like and built in 1898, we headed towards the Zena Suri Alpaca Farm in Jay where I did a little shearing and learned all about alpacas and llamas (who very rarely spit!), both of which they have at the farm. The farm is a member of Harvest Hosts where we pay an annual fee to stay at farms across the country for no extra cost except that we agree to purchase something. I'll wear my new alpaca socks on a run soon!

And now we head towards Nebraska for day three of our RV adventure.

Check out my husband's latest post to see a video of me shearing a llama!

Comments

  1. There must've been something on the road in that area, if you and the truck also had blowouts! You think? I'm glad you were able to avoid a crash! Have a fun trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am, too! We are... We're in South Dakota today. : )

      Delete
  2. I am glad the blow out situation turned out okay, I am sure that was a scary start.
    The picture the alpaca is so cool, what a great grooming job they did...they don't look that awesome naturally do they? The giant soda bottle is pretty cool too.
    Hope the travels to Nebraska go a little smoother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the alpacas and llamas had creative fleece cuts because the shaver has a sense of humor!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like an awesome trip! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm especially looking forward to the places we'd like to visit soon like the Black Hills.

      Delete
  4. Ahhh, how scary but so glad your hubby was able to maneuver that blow out quickly and smoothly! The pics of the alpacas are just too cute! Sounds like you are having some adventurous fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After I wrote this post, my husband was out helping with the animals and he was spit on (he was in the line of fire when one alpaca spit on another) and kicked at by an alpaca (but she missed). So funny! I wish I had seen it!

      Delete
  5. Grilled pineapple is SO good! I'm glad y'all avoided the debris from the truck blowout and that yours was not catastrophic. Good driving by your husband! I know how that is after our recent "blowout" (which was actually all of the bands in our truck's right front tire breaking). Hopefully now that you've had your blowout you'll be good to go from here on out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad your "blowout" was rather uneventful! I wish I knew how to shear animals, because it would make giving my dogs haircuts go faster!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you were safe. Hope your road trip is less uneventful than it was on that first leg. Have fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Safe travels. The blow out does sound scary, glad you were able to avoid an accident.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

50 Mile Race Coming Up

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week