Running in the Black Hills & Wyoming

Mickelson Trail Flowers & Creek
Base Camp

We're in Deadwood, South Dakota, in the northern part of the Black Hills National Forest. My husband and I have been heading north in our RV since June 10 from Texas. This week, we've seen canyons and visited Wyoming. Plus, I've continued to train for the Missoula Marathon, which is on July 12.


Deadwood

We spent some time working at the RV (RV upkeep, laundry) and the RV Park is close to places we wanted to see. We watched both a dog competition and a gunfight on Main Street in Deadwood. At a restaurant in nearby Lead, I ate lavender honey ice cream from a Rapid City, SD, ice creamery that tasted like eating flowers dipped in honey, which maybe doesn't sound pleasant, but it was delicious.

More Mickelson Trail Running This Week

Last week, we stayed near Mt. Rushmore (we both liked that area even better than up north where we are now) and I ran on the Mickelson Trail near mile marker 57. This week, I ran near mile 107. One day, I waved away a group of four deer to get them to run away from me instead of coming towards me. I ran by a grassy place always flooded with about 10-12 fat rabbits, too.

Bench Dips at a Trail Head? Sure!

Since I'm from flat and low Texas, I've slowly increased my hill distance to about 5 miles straight up a gradual hill for my last few runs. I want to be ready for the mid-point hill at the Missoula Marathon. Deadwood has an elevation of 4531' and Missoula's elevation is 3209'. Train high and race low!

Sun: 8 miles easy at 12:48/mi with sprints
Mon: 12 miles at 11:51/mi (hard effort down hills)
Wed: 10 miles at 11:33/mi (hard effort up/down hills, my max up a hill was about 5 miles)
Fri (Today): 16 miles at 10:48/mi, 2 hours 52 min. (my max up a hill was about 4 miles, happy to see that the hills and elevation didn't slow me down as much today, felt good at the finish)
Total Running: 46 Miles

Across the street from the Mickelson Trail is a truffle store. I bought a delicious dark chocolate raspberry truffle to eat after today's long run. They even have a truffle vending machine out front for truffle emergencies!

Spearfish, South Dakota

It's hard to pick a favorite, but the Spearfish Canyon Byway was my favorite drive of the week.

Spearfish Canyon: Bridle Veil Falls

Devils Tower, Wyoming

Devils Tower
We headed to Wyoming one day to see America's first national monument, Devils Tower. We walked and ran a little on the mile long trail around it. We stopped for a good chicken lunch at The View.

Our View of a Wyoming Canyon at Lunch
Next up, we'll be driving through Montana to Canada, two places where we've never been before. It's taper time for the Missoula Marathon. This is perfect timing because we'll be so busy visiting new places, how can I possible get those taper crazies?!

Comments

  1. I love that picture of Devil's Tower! Looks like you are getting some great sightseeing while traveling! And it's pretty impressive that you are still training for a marathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be great to run a marathon in every state. Montana will be my 9th state. This is certainly the longest trip I've never taken to get to a marathon, so to speak!

      Delete
  2. Enjoy your taper and all of the great sightseeing coming up. A truffle vending machine? Wow! What will they vend next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be in trouble if I found more of these vending machines along my running routes!

      Delete
  3. You are definitely getting your hill workouts in! What gorgeous scenery as well. Your pics are bringing back so many memories for me! What fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea how pretty it is here. I'm glad I listened to others who said how much they liked the Black Hills.

      Delete
  4. Those are beautiful pics and you are certainly getting your hill workouts in! You never know when there might be a truffle emergency. Enjoy your taper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're in Montana today and I'm beginning to think that once you leave Texas, you'll only find hills. Another hilly run today, but I kept it slow and easy.

      Delete
  5. Oh, what gorgeous scenery. It looks like you're having an amazing trip! I love the idea of touring around in your own time and in such beautiful areas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since we do some planning before each leg of the trip, I'm even more thankful for fast internet and free wifi. Campgrounds that make planning easier are getting higher marks just for that!

      Delete
  6. You have some of the most amazing adventures! Truffle vending machine? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful country out there! I stayed in Deadwood on a trip to a marathon once, and ran a light three miles down main street and up by Wild Bill's grave-site. Cool place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the trip down memory lane! We did almost the same things when we were there. Visited Deadwood, Devil's Tower, drove that byway. Sounds like you got some really nice runs in. Love that you had to chase the deer away though! Enjoy your next leg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had to coax deer to run away from me before so that was a new experience!

      Delete
  9. Truffle vending machine... that would get me in trouble!!!
    The scenery out there is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know... I started carrying $5 with me, just in case!

      Delete
  10. Great job getting in that training while on the road. Y'all are going to some really neat places! Do you feel like you packed well for the trip, so far?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the things I packed. For clothes, I focused on only a couple of colors so that I could match some things like my purple shirt and purple jacket, for instance.

      Delete
  11. Nice that you are training and seeing the beautiful scenery while travelling all together!! Happy trails. Love the photos you are sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard not to constantly be taking pictures!

      Delete
  12. What great mileage! You are well prepared for Missoula :)
    Wyoming looks just as beautiful as Montana and Canada, at least the parts I have seen :) What a wonderful adventure you are on.
    I love how you fit your strength training in ")

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did balance exercises today while I waited for my dog to finish eating. Gotta get it done when you can!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful pictures! I have been to the Spearfish Canyon once and I thought it was amazing :) Great job hitting the mileage on your trip and have a great race in Missoula! I bet that will be a very scenic race!
    Amy @ http://www.livinglifetruth.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard there's a farmers market held beside the expo - gotta go to that!

      Delete
  15. Devil's Tower, so iconic! I'll bet you will love Montana, the race is a great reason for you and your hubby to get out and explore all of these beautiful places. Good luck in the marathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Race day is nearly here, but before that we're going up to Banff in Canada - so exciting!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

50 Mile Race Coming Up

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week